Notices

Former lurker, now member

Old 08-06-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Former lurker, now member

I first started thinking I had a problem a few years ago. Quit for 2 months then convinced myself I could quit so I could certainly drink again and 'control' it. Looooooong story made short: I could not. Slowly worked my way up to a 6 pack most nights of the week only taking a night or two off because I was just so darn sick. Hangovers got worse and worse and then the shakes started. Would wake up feeling like I was vibrating in my bed. So much daily anxiety and guilt and.....well, the cycle continued. I am sure y'all get the picture.

Anyway, day 2 (again) and I just dropped the kids off at my ex's. As I drove home I realized that I almost pulled into the convenience store near his house out of sheer habit. So, here I sit in an empty house that has no beer and there are hours to fill before bedtime. Reading helps. TV helps. I don't have the nerve to attend a meeting yet so I am glad to have found this site.

Like I said in another post, I have been going 4-5 day sober stretches for a few weeks now only to eff it all up on the weekends. It's discouraging. I think I have mild withdrawal symptoms. Tired, weak, some tingling in my arms, mild anxiety. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks for taking the time to read my abbreviated story.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the posting side of things SheWanders

Do think about what support you have, and what support you need...and don't hesitate
to see a Dr if you're concerned

D
Old 08-06-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dear SheWanders

Welcome and lovely that you are posting! I wish I would have some good advice to give, a magic bullet but I do not, still new at this myself with around 6 months of sobriety. The only thing I can say is to stick with it, one day at a time, sometimes one hour at a time. It does get better, way way way better but as someone who tried again and again similar to you, I know how hard it can be to stick with it but once you do, it gets easier.

One thing that also really helped me was to pluck up the courage to go to a meeting. I was terrified and shook like I had the DTs but the warmth and the help and the welcome of people who were just like me was amazing and I could not believe what I was so scared of.

Good luck to you and may you find what you need to get through this time, posting here is a great start!
Old 08-06-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Limbo! I have been lurking for some time now so posting here (finally) was a big step. It feels good to admit it. I am getting ready to check out meetings in my area. They worked for my grandfather so I am really not sure what my reluctance is all about. Hearing that you were scared too really helps me.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for making the choice to live a sober life.

My suggestion would be to change your routines. In the early days, I avoided walking past the stores where I bought wine and it helped.

And, I got involved in volunteer work at the outset of my recovery and it helped enormously. I was so very lost and empty and it helped me to reconnect with myself and to begin to feel good about myself.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Its official now youve done it, youve posted

Welcome aboard.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hang in there, it's rough physically for a few days in my experience, then it gets a bit better. Plenty of food and gentle exercise is a bonus, as is plenty of sleep of you can.
Having kids can be a great distraction I'm sure :-)!!!
Try and think of what you've enjoyed doing in the past aside from drinking and look for new hobbies. That's helped me through withdrawals in th past :-)
Good luck to you
Old 08-06-2012, 03:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR SheWanders

I did the sober during the week thing for a month or 2 before I finally quit. I think that narked me more than the daily drinking in a way. I did the crash course on AVRT on my last day 1 and that really helped me stick to my decision. Maybe that would be worth looking at while you work up the courage to go to a meeting.

Glad you're here x
Old 08-06-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow! Thanks for all the advice. Looking into old hobbies and even bought a flute as I used to play in younger more sober days. Also love to read which is hard to do when you can't see straight. I do think I need more support, like meetings, especially on nights when I don't have my kids. I have seen AVRT mentioned on here quite a bit so I think I will check that out while I consider meetings. At the moment I think I'll take the dog for a walk. Poor dog of a drinker.....