Finding Our Light

Old 08-06-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Finding Our Light

You are reading from the book Today's Gift

What matters?...Only the flicker of light within the darkness, the feeling of warmth within the cold, the knowledge of love within the void.
—Joan Walsh Anglund

If we were lost at sea, surrounded by darkness pierced only by one distant blinking light, we would follow that light. As we followed it, it would become clearer and brighter until it brought us safely to land.

Sometimes when we're depressed, we feel as though we're lost on a dark sea. But there is always a flicker of light for us. It may be prayer, or the love of a special friend. When we see that light, we need to move toward it. Whatever brings us hope is like that flicker of light. The more we seek it, the clearer and brighter the light will become.

When we are cold and our bodies begin to numb, we must keep moving. Movement will keep us alive. When our emotions are numb, we need people or things or places that will warm our hearts. When no one else is around, hot baths or a favorite treat can bring the warmth of our own self-love into our lives when we need it the most.

How can I brighten my inner light today?

From Today's Gift: Daily Meditations for Families ©1985, 1991 by Hazelden Foundation.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

some additional quotes on inner light....and an image that i love, gives me peace.

"I wish I could show you when you are lonely or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being.” -Hafiz —

We all have light inside. A brilliant, blinding and burning light. Mostly we hide it away, bury it deep inside our flesh. When we focus and let it loose, it shines through the cracks....
Old 08-06-2012, 05:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I remember days of darkness so very dark I didn't know how or where to find even a glimmer of light.

I remember days when sadness and fear engulfed me and I knew that if I didn't reach out, I would never find my way out alone.

I went to meetings, I came here...defeated and broken and yet there was a tiny little spark of hope left in my heart. My recovery friends shared their light until I could find my own. They taught me how to kindle my flame and let it grow. They taught me to stop living in the problem of my son's addiction, and start living in the solution of my own recovery.

I will never again let that light be extinguished, I will never again live in darkness of fear...not while a spark of life and one breath remains in me.

Sharing my light with those who have lost theirs is the only way I can repay those who went before me, lighting my path. The gift is in the giving and I pray that we all find our light today.

Hugs
Old 08-06-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
The sun still shines

How beautiful. Thank you Ann and Elphie.