Notices

NA Vs SMART Recovery Groups in Australia

Old 07-31-2012, 04:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

NA Vs SMART Recovery Groups in Australia

Hi all,

I am looking into a meeting to go to and wanted to ask about peoples experiences with the above (if there is anyone from Oz that would be great but any advice would help!).

I am not a religous person, however the Australian NA website says that there is no religious focus in NA here (which would be preferential for me personally). The structure of the NA meetings appeals to me more than the SMART meetings - the SMART meetings seems to a bit of a Cognitive Behavioural Therapy focus, I have been in therapy (including CBT for years so this is not really what I am looking for.

Re NA I am also not really keen on having a sponsor, I have my own support (psychologist and psychiatrist) that I trust and see regularly and am not really keen to start another type of relationship in this area.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I really just want to go and check one out in the first instance and see if it is for me - can I do that without committing?

Thanks!!
Sarah

Old 07-31-2012, 04:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm an Aussie but I'm not in either, and have no experience to share.

The good news is that NA and SMART should be essentially the same the world over, so you'll get a lot of input here Sarah

D
Old 07-31-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

Originally Posted by sarahbartok View Post
Hi all, Does anyone have any thoughts? I really just want to go and check one out in the first instance and see if it is for me - can I do that without committing?
Hi sarahbartok,

This might help you have a better understanding regarding the NA fellowship.

http://www.na.org/?ID=litfiles/us_en...%20Program.pdf

Have a blessed day
TB
Old 07-31-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Re NA I am also not really keen on having a sponsor, I have my own support (psychologist and psychiatrist) that I trust and see regularly and am not really keen to start another type of relationship in this area.

Not from Austrailia..but I can tell you this: I can understand your aversion towards having a sponsor...however, unless your psychiatrist/psychologist is an addict and member of NA, they are unable to help you work the program of NA. Sure, they can help with other issues, but not the program. While psychologists/psychiatrists can be very beneficial, they don't have first-hand experience with what your going through as an addict. When it comes to a "sponsor", your dealing with someone who has experienced what your going through and come out of it sober. Sure, non-addicts can help us but only other addicts can fully understand us because they've been there/done that and can feel our pain. For example, a guy who gained his knowledge from a text-book does'nt know what a drug-craving feels like...just my opinion. And the only way to know which program is for you is to shop around and see what works. Just go! Good luck. Peace.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

found these

SMART Recovery Australia |
Welcome to Narcotics Anonymous Australia

D
Old 07-31-2012, 10:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys!!

I will talk to my psych about it as well and give it some more thought, but I might go to NA. Timebuster I liked the spirit of the document you linked.

I'm just wary about sponsorship as I am very familiar with the helping industry (work in it for a living and have seen lots of therapists etc myself) and I know while there are some wonderful people doing great, thoughtful work, there are also some people who are very unhelpful and quite damaging. It has taken me some time to find the right therapist and support.

I spoke to a friend this morning who has been to Marijuana Anonymous and Overeaters Anonymous and she has had a really positive experience and said it really helped her, so thats promising.

Sarah
Old 08-01-2012, 02:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recoveringed

The 12 step programs have done for me what countless psychologists and psychiatrists were never ever able to accomplish: recovery from the frequently fatal disease of addiction. I/they had also failed to see that most of the things that I thought were wrong with me were symptoms of untreated/insufficently addiction/alcoholism. I thought I was depressed, anxious, a chronic insomniac, OCD, germaphobic, agoraphobic, you name it. When I got well, the rest fell away. I do not believe that was a coincidence.

I cannot say enough good things about the 12 step fellowships, the gifts they have continued to give me and the amazing people I've come to love along the way. It's a journey. It takes patience, faith and footwork, but it absolutely works. The quality of recovery I know is a big part of that. None of it would be working for me today without quality sponsorship. It is a gift beyond measure!

I have looked a good bit into SMART, and while there are interesting things about it, I wouldn't recommend to you something that I'm not actually doing myself, and I would really keep that in mind when taking suggestions from others. Advice isn't the same as experience, my 2 cents.

Good luck!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Know Hope
Old 08-01-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks guys!!

I'm just wary about sponsorship as I am very familiar with the helping industry (work in it for a living and have seen lots of therapists etc myself) and I know while there are some wonderful people doing great, thoughtful work, there are also some people who are very unhelpful and quite damaging. It has taken me some time to find the right therapist and support.

Sarah
That's why it's not smart to jump on anything that comes along. If you go and pay attention it won't take long for you to figure out who the quality sponsors are, who the "winners" are. Also it's possible to ask for a "temporary sponsor", which is someone who agrees to take you on with the understanding that you may move on to someone else at some point. And while sponsorship is important, the program is more than sponsorship as just going to meetings and listening/sharing can be very therapeutic in and of itself...and it's a great way to build a recovery network--people that you can call if/when you feel like using. Good luck. Peace.