Notices

Pain Medication Abuse

Old 07-30-2012, 11:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pain Medication Abuse

Purdue Pharma recently announced it is conducting clinical trials on OxyContin in children. Immediately some have criticized, suggesting that the exposure to opioids at an early age will inevitably lead to addiction later in life. The larger issue that was missed is that there are times opioids are necessary for children. Children in intensive care units, emergency rooms, post operatively or in rehab often require strong analgesics. These are children with cancer, with severe burns, with sickle cell anemia or other conditions. It would be cruel and inhumane to leave children untreated who experience extraordinary amounts of pain. Of course opioids should not be the first line of therapy if an alternative is available, but they may be the only way to provide relief. So the question is not whether opioids should be used in children but rather how to use them safely when they are necessary. The only way we can know how to safely use medications in children is if they are studied in children. Science should inform patient safety.

To follow Dr. Webster visit us at yourlifesource .org

About Dr. Webster

Lynn Webster M.D., FACPM, FASAM is Medical Director of CRI-Lifetree and serves as President-Elect of the American Academy of Pain Medicine (AAPM). He is board certified in anesthesiology and pain medicine and also is certified in addiction medicine. He has published over 100 peer reviewed articles. His research interests include studying abuse potential of pharmaceuticals and opioid-induced sleep-disordered breathing. He lectures extensively on opioid abuse prevention and criminal diversion in chronic pain patients. He co-founded LifeSource in 2006 as a non-profit organization to educate physicians, patients and communities on science-, social-, and pain-related issues that affect health as well as to fund and conduct research on new solutions for solving the prescription drug problem in America. He was co-editor of the recent Supplement to Pain Medicine titled "Deaths Related to Opioids Prescribed for Chronic Pain: Causes and Solutions". Dr. Webster has authored numerous scientific abstracts, journal articles, textbook chapters, and a book entitled Avoiding Opioid Abuse While Managing Pain: A Guide for Practitioners; co-edits Pain Medicine’s section on Opioids, Substance Abuse & Addiction ; and serves as a reviewer for numerous peer-reviewed journals.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Purdue Pharma is looking out for the all-mighty dollar. I worked for a pharmaceutical company when Purdue launched Oxy in 1996. My college roommate was a rep for them and they marketed the drug heavily in inappropriate patients. They have been slapped with numerous lawsuits over the years. Their marketing tactics in the pass have been very unethical.

Finding a niche in children is just another "me too" drug that they feel they can make a buck on. Seriously, we have numerous pain meds used currently in children. What makes Oxycontin so different?-Not drinking the Kool-Aid on this on. They should be ashamed of themselves!
Old 07-30-2012, 04:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would agree wholeheartedly with sophia. I am also in the medical field and find relatively little altruistic motivation except in the lower level practitioners. Companies involved in supply are motivated by money and return on the dollar. Insurance suppliers are motivated by finding ways to not pay for anything while hoarding their money. Dr.s frequently are interested in keeping their piece of the pie.

I would be interested in research put out by a scientist who was also an experienced addict and then if it were not treated as a science. I do not find addiction to be a science for which there is a formula or a technique. Dr's always feel they know everything and can step in someone else's territory with only their intelligence to guide them. Witness the number of writers in this forum who have been to the Dr. for assist and have been introduced instead into a program involving more opiods or other drugs more difficult to get away from than the original DOC.