Notices

Day 4 and having horrible cravings!

Old 07-28-2012, 11:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4 and having horrible cravings!

I've read these boards for years but this is my first post. A little about me I am pretty much housebound due to losing a leg in the military and losing my driver's license because of 2 DUI's.

I started drinking a little, which turned into a little more and gradually turned into a fifth of vodka a day habit. Drinking just seemed to make the long days tolerable and a little fun. Anyway, alcohol has destroyed a lot of what I did have including my health. Doctor's have told me if I continued to drink the way I did I wouldn't wouldn't be alive in 2-3 years and I'm only 37.

I've struggling for the last 2-3 years to remain sober with 3-4 days of sobriety followed by 3-4 days of drinking binges. So, I'm once again on Day 4 and the physical withdrawal symptoms have subsided but my mind is screaming "I want a drink"!

Does anyone have any advice on how to get through the mental cravings?
Old 07-28-2012, 11:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I did and do many things still when craving come about..

Gym
Pool
Library
Hot Shower
Serenity Prayer
Play with my dogs
and the two most popular
Come here to SR and read or go to the chat room
And for me Meetings they always make me feel better. I still go almost everyday to a meeting.

You can live free, Keep going strong.

And welcome to SR, I first tried to quit when I was 39. Being told the same thing about my future if I were to continue. I was in the ICU and unconscious, after being in the county jail for two days starting my sentence for the 3 dui. And started hallucinating so badly from detoxing, that I was trying to kill myself by running head first into the cell wall. I had no idea. So when I was awoken a nurse was there to talk to me and tell me I was diagnosed with Korsakoff syndrome. And after thiamine treatments working and several more days in a regular room to finish detox. I was released. With no idea and no tools.

I went straight to the bar that evening and continued my tall beer and 3 finger shots of blackhaus.

I dont live that hellish life today, you also can be free. For me AA has saved this alcoholic and really ruined my drinking.

Keep coming on reading and posting.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Waterfront:

Have you considered the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous?

I bet if you gave their local phone number a call the boys would be glad to come around and pick you up.

All the best to you.

Bob R
Old 07-28-2012, 11:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to the shareing side of SR...
Thank you for your milatary service.

Have you considered trying AA? I too have limited mobility and
can no longer drive....but my AA friends are great at
helping me with getting to meetings...shopping and such.

It helps when you feel alone in struggles
to have others who understand ...

Thanks for joining with us....many here are winnning over
alcohol useing all sorts of different ways.
That really can be true for you as well...
Old 07-28-2012, 12:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Waterfront, if you are near Detroit call the Sober Soldier AA group.

Let me know if you want info.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-28-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Unfortunately, I live in a rural area where meetings are limited to one on Fri, Sat, Tues & Thurs nights but there is a county AA number I can call. Weekends are really hard because my kids are at there dad's so I am all alone and don't have the pressure of not wanting to be drunk around the kids.

I am determined to make it past day 4 because I don't know how many more time my body can physically take going through the physical withdrawals.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I’m always pleased to see the lurkers finally post. It indicates to me a willingness to do something different, and this is exactly what is needed to bring about change. Your post is a good beginning.

First I hope that your doctor knows you are attempting detox now. The docs can be very helpful with helping to manage the many detox symptoms.

Here are more numbers in Michigan that might help--------> Alcoholics Anonymous : Local Resources that provide A.A. Meeting Information States

I wish you well, and I’m grateful for your service.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!
Old 07-28-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
Waterfront, if you are near Detroit call the Sober Soldier AA group.

Let me know if you want info.

All the best.

Bob R
No, unfortunately I live in SW MI.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have done inpatient detox in the past when I had been heavily drinking daily for over 2 years straight and really needed it. During my present 2, 3 or 4 day binges I can white knuckle it through. I always take the supplements prescribed by the Dr. even on the days that I'm drinking.

I am on day 4 so the physical symptoms aren't too bad, just a little anxious. I'm having more of a problem with mental cravings. Drinking just numbed me and seemed to make the day go buy faster. I did follow some of the advice since my first post and went for a walk and bought a book that I can hopefully get into to.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Waterfront
Glad you've posted

I've been often housebound too - I have cerebral palsy - and it can be diificult to get out of that home alone/boredom/sadness/drinking as medication cycle.

It's not impossible tho...drinking was killing me too - I managed to turn that determination I used to have to somehow get to the liquor store into determination not to go to the liquor store.

I didn't do it alone tho - I think everyone needs support. Posting regularly and reading on SR was a great help to me.

I think face to face support can be useful too, but if that's not an option for you, for whatever reason, most recovery programmes these days seem to offer an online option....some like Rational Recovery have no meetings at all....just books.

Here's some links to some of the main recovery players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

The main thing tho - whatever you decide to do - is do something.
In my experience, inaction just leads to more drinking....

good to have you with us
D
Old 07-28-2012, 05:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Still Sober

I've almost made it through Day 4 sober. Thank you to everyone here at SR.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi,
The early days are so, so long. You sound like you're determined to succeed! Walk, read, meditate, exercise, hang out on SR, keep going.

Best wishes,
Pam
Old 07-28-2012, 06:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Day four cravings are brutal.

Stay strong, Waterfront, and wishing you the best!
Old 07-29-2012, 12:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by Waterfront View Post
I've almost made it through Day 4 sober. Thank you to everyone here at SR.
Regular involvement here at SR can be a wonderful program to finding a way to live alcohol free. Keep on keeping on
Old 07-29-2012, 12:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
instant

Welcome to the boards!!

The most important thing in handling cravings you already know. They are cravings. They are a product of addiction.

You may not have experienced it but be assured that with continued abstinence they diminish. I cannot recall when I last had a real craving, as opposed to an idea about drinking.

There is an article somewhere on urge surfing. It is a good read.

The onset of a craving can be 'unpredictable', or related to triggers (which are everywhere in early recovery anyway!!). Once they come they have a rhythm and intensity pattern that seems constant. Do nothing and train yourself to think "I am having a craving, it is unpleasant but it will go away'.

it will be your choice if you bear it or buy into it.

I know it is easier said than done - good luck
Old 07-29-2012, 10:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by instant View Post
Welcome to the boards!!

The onset of a craving can be 'unpredictable', or related to triggers (which are everywhere in early recovery anyway!!). Once they come they have a rhythm and intensity pattern that seems constant. Do nothing and train yourself to think "I am having a craving, it is unpleasant but it will go away'.

it will be your choice if you bear it or buy into it.

I know it is easier said than done - good luck
Thanks, I'm now on Day 5. Today is going a little better. A drink sounds good but I'm not obsessing about it like I was yesterday.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome and congratulations on day 5!!! You CAN do this! One motivator for me is to make a list of the pros and cons of my drinking habit. There are DEFINITELY more cons! I also try to remember that horrible feeling of waking up with a hangover and struggling to get through the day, YUCK! It also helps to stay busy... Even if its just posting on SR for now. Glad you are here, Waterfront, keep posting!
Old 07-29-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hello my friend! Those first few days are so hard... try to remember that it won't ALWAYS be like it is now... you WILL feel better the longer you go without a drink. I found that eating helped a lot to get my mind off booze... especially in those first few days. My stomach didn't like it so much so I did a lot of ice cream and pasta... definately helped. Hang in there my friend!
Old 07-29-2012, 12:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Good to see you got another day.