Notices

Regaining strength and endurance after getting sober?

Old 07-25-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Regaining strength and endurance after getting sober?

For the past two to three years, I've been drinking, I'd estimate, an average of ten beers after work five days a week pretty ritually. It has almost been 48 hours since my last drink. I feel very blessed that I have gotten through this almost 48 hours seemingly less torturously than what some of you, my peer alcoholics, have had to go through.

I should preface this post by saying that I know I have plenty more reasons to stop drinking and plenty more questions to ask myself through recovery that are more significant than the one I'm about to ask here.

I've been a fairly strong and athletic guy prior to my alcoholism and even through my alcoholism sans the thirty pounds the beer has left me with.

I went to a moving company today to apply for a new job that would be a significant raise over the job I am working now. I went through the entire hiring process which included an endurance test and I was lucky enough to be offered the job on the spot. The endurance test was a struggle and even though I was told that the majority of people cannot pass it, I still do not feel good about how I felt during and after the test. I expected to be able to perform much better on it.

Aside from the natural weight loss that I should expect from eliminating the beer and working this job, what else should I expect as far as regaining some natural strength and endurance? I start this job in two and a half weeks after a notice to my current job, and I'm hoping that after two and half god-willing weeks of sobriety that i will be feeling better.

I'm looking for anyone who does physical labor or works out or anything of that sort to share how much better, and when, you started feeling throughout your recovery.

Thank you.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I drive for UPS. I have been a drunk the entire time I've been a driver. I have been sober for 58 days.

After the withdrawals subsided, I have indeed noticed a big increase in My endurance. I can now pound out an 11 hour day with energy to spare to work around the house. Strength is about the same for me. Also I quit smokin about 5 months ago. My body is loving this. Lol

Expect to be good and sore for a couple of weeks. As you work a physical job, you will naturally start to shed the excess pounds. As your body recovers from the alcohol and the extra weight, you will feel like a machine hitting on all cylinders! Sorry for the short post, I'm on my phone. Lol
Old 07-25-2012, 12:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm a painting contractor, both interior and exterior so I spend a good part of my days out in the heat slinging extension ladders around and generally being quite active. I'm also about six weeks sober.

Mornings could be brutal hungover...shaky, dizzy, dehydrated, seriously feeling like crap and the last place I wanted to be was on top of a ladder trying to paint a straight line. Seriously, I feel SO much better and more capable now! Even though I've "slowed down" physically due to being 54 but I'm still in pretty good shape.

I even have energy to take the dogs for a 2-3 mile walk before work. This was a rare, rare thing when I was drinking and I felt really guilty about not walking them enough too.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BichonFrise2012 View Post
Hey SR members. Please bear with me here.... just registered and trying to figure it all out. Sober 9 days, 14 hours and counting! Seems like a pretty cool website. Congrats to all of you in your sobriety. If anyone has any tips about understanding this site, please advise. The threads I have recently read are ALL very inspirational.
Welcome, Bichon!
On the "Newcomers to Recovery" main forum page, look near the top left for a blue box that says "New Thread." Click on that and a window will open, allowing you to post an introduction.

Look forward to hearing from you and congrats on 9 days!
Old 07-25-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Hi Beric,

My strength and endurance increased very obviously. I am certain because I go to the gym and keep track of my statistics. Sleeping better I believe is a part of it. I know everyone is different, but that is my story. I hope, Beric, that you experience a return of your full athletic abilities. Congratulations on the new job, and good luck.

Mel
Old 07-25-2012, 01:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome aboard

Myself I love being active outside, working out, and I am a chef. So its not really physical but can be extremely hot.

It always would take me a couple weeks to really get good energy. But the best is , as long as I dont pick up I keep it. !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

You might need to have a little patience, but I am sure as you continue to take care of yourself, your endurance will improve.