Notices

6 years ago I became a parent

Old 07-24-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6 years ago I became a parent

I promised then that I would stop drinking and I didn't. I have promised here that I am going to stop drinking and I haven't. Well that changes today. I don't want to go another anniversary and still have a problem with alcohol. I have a great life and I don't want to mess it up anymore. I want to repair the damage I have done to my health and finances and I want to set a good example for my son. My dad was an alcoholic and I vowed that I would not repeat that cycle and I am determined now to make a change. I am not religious but I felt compelled to visit a church earlier today and reflect on what is ahead.

This is a great board and like others have said, I appreciate that everyone shares their trials and tribulations. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. You can do this.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I have found this site invaluable in helping me through all the early stages of sobriety. Everyone is so helpful, non judgemental and understanding. It is a great place to start your journey.
Keep reading and posting. We are here to support you x
Old 07-24-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Willquit. You are right, I will do this, I have to do this.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

You CAN do this!!! Please please do it for your kids. My dad was an alcoholic, and we didn't speak for almost 19 years because of it. Change it now, while you can.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I didn't think my drinking was affecting my children because I did most of my drinking after they were asleep. In retrospect, I see now that it did affect them because it affected me. I was impatient and preoccupied and often dealing with a hangover... I just wasn't fully there.

Good for you for making this decision and wanting to be the best you can be for yourself and your son!
Old 07-24-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family! :ghug3 I've been sober over two years with the help of this site and my counselor. You too can live a happy sober life.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

TooTall--Things don't get better with drinking...sooner or later it all catches up to you.
I had 2 children & drank through their childhoods. I have much regret now. And the example I set? When I FINALLY became sober (17 months now)--2 months into it, my daughter turned 21 & she got her first DUI a week later--guilt! I went through a divorce, still drank. It all came to a head in the Fall of 2010. I got my 3rd DUI (in the course of 15 years). I lost my license for 10 years, did jail time and now I am trying to start over--. And I held down good jobs, owned a home, lived well...Alcohol does not elude anyone--once it has you, you will eventually go down. Stop while you can & you can do it. Believe me, you children & you are worth it.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great decision too. tall

D
Old 07-24-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sounds like now is THE time to stop. 6 year olds turn into teenagers before you know it.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

too.tall, welcome!

Artsoul, you are absolutely right. It's easy to think that drinking in private doesn't affect our family, but I was a different person in my drinking years. My mind was always planning my next drink and rarely focusing on what was going on around me.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I love this place. Take care.