what is dry drunk?

Old 07-23-2012, 12:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what is dry drunk?

Been hearing a lot about dry drunk...I guess I can google it.

Anyone want to fill me in on what this is and any help as to dealing with it?
Old 07-23-2012, 03:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Dry Drunk is frequently used by people to mean an alcoholic who has simply stopped drinking, but has not addressed the underlying reasons he or she began to drink. In other words, the alcohol is absent, but the angry, lying, cheating person is still around.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's just a made up term. Kind of like "the chicken or the egg" thing.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

And I should add....it is considered a deragatory term by many solidly recovering alcoholics.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Having gotten sober in AA 31+ years ago and being around AA since then I do not believe it is a derogatory remark or is used as one, by most folks, however, there are some .................................... that have or do.

It is a two word description to describe someone who has stopped drinking and done nothing else.

The program of AA says that drinking is but a symptom of deeper underlying issues. When a person stops drinking and does nothing to work on themselves to find the 'underlying issues', and continues all other behaviors as before, the term 'dry drunk' comes into play.

It is a term I choose not to use too often, but a few times have had to tell a sponsee that they are in that 'mode' or headed for that 'mode' and let's get back to work. I am sure in my own recovery there have been times when I seemed to be in a dry drunk, when I was stagnant, not moving forward, some old behaviors reappearing, etc

Some A's never get beyond the 'dry drunk' stage, believing (in their denial) that all they have to do is not drink.

Whatever you believe, I personally have experienced it in another very close A and it is just as bad as being around someone who is still practicing their addiction.

J M H O

Love and hugs,