Notices

Please help need a helping hand.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Please help need a helping hand.

Hi, I'm a 21 year old male living in Los Angeles.
I used to drink heavely every weekend since I was 14.
About 3 moths ago I got slapped with withdrawal syndrome, which until I ended up in the ER, I knew nothing about.

A little over a month ago the absolute worst part of the withdrawal hit me.
DEPERSONALIZATION.
It is the feeling that I do not exist. I become confused when I look at my body and I start to think about how It does not belong to me. Also stuck in a dream state!!
I need a sympathetic human being who can finally tell me if they have ever made it past this :/ I literally feel like I'm on the verge of death. I'm losing hope.
I do not need for someone to tell me to see a doctor! I do not have insurance and cannot afford it! Please help me.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A girl can dream...

welcome garrett,

can't say i've experienced what you're going through but I'm sure you'll be hearing from other members who can offer some insight. hang in their kiddo!
Old 07-16-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Garrett.

I've experienced this both when I was using drugs, and transitionally when very depressed. It's scary but not life-threatening, and actually something that some people who are heavily into meditation seek out.

But it would be irresponsible not to advise you to go to the emergency room if you are feeling very overwhelmed and scared. Even with no health insurance, you'll get some help there.

Is AA an option for you? Being around other peop[le who have had real struggles with alcoholism might really help you feel connected and not so alone.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Are you attending Alcoholics Anonymous meetings?

Lots of folks there who have had "out of body" experiences.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-16-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lifewithoutbooz View Post
welcome garrett,

can't say i've experienced what you're going through but I'm sure you'll be hearing from other members who can offer some insight. hang in their kiddo!
Thanks alot! sometimes the best help is just a sympathetic ear. Thank you for fulfilling the role of a human being. Really.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stevie1 View Post
Hi Garrett.

I've experienced this both when I was using drugs, and transitionally when very depressed. It's scary but not life-threatening, and actually something that some people who are heavily into meditation seek out.

But it would be irresponsible not to advise you to go to the emergency room if you are feeling very overwhelmed and scared. Even with no health insurance, you'll get some help there.

Is AA an option for you? Being around other peop[le who have had real struggles with alcoholism might really help you feel connected and not so alone.
Are you completely free from depersonalization? And how long did it take
Old 07-16-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree. AA is totally free and you may connect with 1 or more people that have gone through what you are going through. I would say go check it out and see what happens. It can't hurt you to at least check it out right?
Old 07-16-2012, 04:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gravesmeister View Post
I agree. AA is totally free and you may connect with 1 or more people that have gone through what you are going through. I would say go check it out and see what happens. It can't hurt you to at least check it out right?
You're absolutely right, it would cause no harm (: other than my pride of course. Thank you.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Garrett624 View Post
Are you completely free from depersonalization? And how long did it take
Yes, it's been quite a few years since I last experienced it...like 15 or so.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You're absolutely right, it would cause no harm (: other than my pride of course. Thank you.
Pride, shmide.
Absolutely NOTHING shameful about going to AA or seeking help! Quite the opposite actually - it takes guts. Do it.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you this give me hope.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have not experienced that symptom of withdrawals. Don't lose hope, friend. I agree that an AA meeting may be helpful to you. If you feel it may not be, keep on posting here. I'm sorry you are having a rough time. Most here have been through some sort of withdrawals, and are very empathetic to what you are going through.

I agree with the above poster, if you need help, don't hesitate to hit an ER!
Old 07-16-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rudie View Post
I have not experienced that symptom of withdrawals. Don't lose hope, friend. I agree that an AA meeting may be helpful to you. If you feel it may not be, keep on posting here. I'm sorry you are having a rough time. Most here have been through some sort of withdrawals, and are very empathetic to what you are going through.

I agree with the above poster, if you need help, don't hesitate to hit an ER!
Thank you. I've actually been to the ER quite a number of times. And all theyve done is pump me full of Ativan and slap me with a 2,000 dollar bill. I've not met a single doctor who is not indifferent to my situation.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stevie1 View Post
Pride, shmide.
Absolutely NOTHING shameful about going to AA or seeking help! Quite the opposite actually - it takes guts. Do it.
I'm going to do it! Thank you.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Zee

Hi there, I sent you a PM. Its about Deperonalisation/derealisation. (I get it sometimes and its really scary) read the link, its really useful. Take care x
Old 07-16-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

Glad you are here!
Old 07-16-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

You are real Garrett, and you are here. We are all a great group of people. Please talk whenever you can, and we will try and help you! Welcome =)
Old 07-16-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Live2Run25 View Post
You are real Garrett, and you are here. We are all a great group of people. Please talk whenever you can, and we will try and help you! Welcome =)
Thank you so very much Brit. And can't begin to thank all of you enough. I'm feeling a bit better, and I know with time everything will be ok. Like I said before. Thanks for being a selfless person and Assisting a fellow human being. Many people turned a blind eye to what was happening to me. Including my former physicians.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Thank you so very much Brit. And can't begin to thank all of you enough. I'm feeling a bit better, and I know with time everything will be ok. Like I said before. Thanks for being a selfless person and Assisting a fellow human being. Many people turned a blind eye to what was happening to me. Including my former physicians.
The medical system is a complete and utter joke. I feel you. I went misdiagnosed for almost 7 years for a disease and I eventually diagnosed myself and demanded blood work. Turns out I was right. Don't listen to the doctors.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Garrett.
Glad you found us. Hang in there. Stay in contact with the people here. I have found meetings to be very helpful in making me feel like a member of the human race. It has been amazing to me how caring the people here on SR and in AA are.
People do care, we care