Notices

new here

Old 07-02-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new here

hi everyone, i have been sober over 6 months 2x but relapsed i am almost 1 month free of alochol again. the worst part for me is being lonley i lost all my friends and know i can see them all if i go to the bar, but i can't, so how do you go about meeting new people?
Old 07-02-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Welcome to the forums. I'm in the same boat about meeting people since i've moved to a new area. I'm looking at hanging out at coffee shops, going to small local events, picking up some new/old hobbies (i used to knit so i'm looking at joining or starting a Stitch and Bitch group). I hope that helps.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by conradthe3rd View Post
hi everyone, i have been sober over 6 months 2x but relapsed i am almost 1 month free of alochol again. the worst part for me is being lonley i lost all my friends and know i can see them all if i go to the bar, but i can't, so how do you go about meeting new people?
Church, volunteering, school, library, coffee shops, outdoor activities, gym classes (like yoga, cycling, etc), sports. You have to find activities that attract non-drunks, lol!
Old 07-02-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Welcome conrad, losing my friends bothered me in the beginning, but almost 2 years later my old friends are the least of my concerns. I have made new friends and some of the drink, but I have made it clear to everybody I meet I don't drink. Some accept it, some don't. The loneliness will work itself out with time.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

I've been 'online dating'. The first date is easy to suggest meeting for coffee or going for a walk. If there is a connection, then the absence of alcohol shouldn't matter. Most girls I have been out with were fine with not meeting for drinks. So there's one option...
Old 07-02-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanx for all the quick replies, maby if we all wore a bandana like a gang or something lol it would be alot easier, to see who is approachable, i also have ptsd and anxiety, so this is cool because i know the people here are similar to me, but outside it's hard to figure out who you can approach
Old 07-02-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

ihave tried the online dating thing but havent found any good sites, any suggestions?
Old 07-02-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanx for all the quick replies, maby if we all wore a bandana like a gang or something lol it would be alot easier, to see who is approachable, i also have ptsd and anxiety, so this is cool because i know the people here are similar to me, but outside it's hard to figure out who you can approach
Lol, what would our gang color be?
Old 07-02-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

how about blue and black, i dont know of any gangs with those colors, ive 3min from atlantic city so i am sure ill find out if i try lol
Old 07-02-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

it always feels good to laugh, just this brings me up a few notches on the how i feel o meter
Old 07-02-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

how about blue and black, i dont know of any gangs with those colors, ive 3min from atlantic city so i am sure ill find out if i try lol
Hahaha, that's funny stuff.

But yea, finding new friends is tough, because it's not like you just want to hang out with anyone because they don't drink, they still have to have similar interests to you. My gf doesn't drink much at all and has some friends that don't drink, but they have nothing in common with me. They hate sports, they hate the stupid movies I like, the tv shows I like, etc. They are excruciatingly boring to hang out with. I'm just attracted to things that typically people who like to drink are attracted too.

So if you find a way to find new friends that share your interests that do not drink, let me know!
Old 07-02-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I find sobriety and friendship in Alcoholics Anonymous.

No gangs there ...

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-02-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

.I'm tired of being black and blue. I hardly have any bruises now that i'm not falling down drunk
Old 07-02-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i have tried A.A. but i have not met anyone with my intrests, or anything actually other than not drinking in common, i have tried a few different meeting groups,
Old 07-02-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

i am 30 yr old male in great shape that loves the outdoors and anything dangerous or adventerous, is there a group for poeple who love girls and a good time that dosent involve alochol................?
Old 07-02-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Conrad - welcome

I've never used them - but a lot of cities now have sober meetup groups - as I understand it, the focus is on friendship, not hooking up - but that's probably no bad thing for a while... staying sober is hard enough

google sober meetups and you'll find a lot of hits in various cities

Congratulations on your month

D
Old 07-02-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

I too am going through a lot of this. It's so hard! ALL of my friends drink. I'm hoping In time I will find new friends.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm having the same problem. There's a local music venue here that has music and zero alcohol. I thought about going there. It's a Christian based venue and I am not Christian but I think it might be good for me as oppose to the bar life.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

thanx

thanx again for all your replies, i think maby we need to try to do something about this,you all must have a passion and drive otherwise we would have not been addicts,lol serisouly in the next few dys lets try to just come up with ideas, brainstorming, via e mail or maby web cast, i dont know but lets try to do something maby we should post this somewhere else,btw i suck at typing and computer stuff
Old 07-02-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

so there are many women with the same issues, maby the gang idea could work lol, i am way to shy to talk to random people,in person, if there was only a way....