Notices

For those on the alcoholic fence...

Old 06-29-2012, 09:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
KDL

For those on the alcoholic fence...

I have just read a book that I know many on this site have read- "Under the Influence" What an eye opening book. If you at all wonder if you are really an alcoholic, or if you will ever be able to drink normally, this book will make it crystal clear.

For those of us that need to understand why, this is a must read for anyone who even wonders if they have a problem.

I could say that I wish I read this book 2 years ago, but the truth is, I wouldn't have seen the point then.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
DAB

What made me realize was a passage from the BB.
When I tried to control it, I couldn't enjoy it. When I enjoyed it, I couldn't control it.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DAB View Post
What made me realize was a passage from the BB.
When I tried to control it, I couldn't enjoy it. When I enjoyed it, I couldn't control it.
Wow, that's so me. Just coming to terms that I have a problem. Guess I've known it for a long time but not ready to admit it. Only on day 2 but hope to change
Old 06-29-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Reading Under the Influence really got to me. I remember first reading that and going "OMG this is soooo me!"
Old 06-29-2012, 02:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
DAB

I'm a slow learner, it took me 26 years of use and abuse to catch on.
It cost me 1 marriage and very close to a 2nd.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DAB View Post
Well said...

The inability to trust oneself is what started the realization for me. I would wake up, put on my suit and drive into the office with an HONEST promise to myself that I would NOT pick up wine/beer after work.. I failed, my brain, my mind, my body would end up at a liquor store with this insane feeling of euphoria while paying for the booze.... This started to happen more and more, I was starting to achieve the "not yet's" I certainly did not believe would EVER happen to me......

It has been almost 1.5 years since my last drunk.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
God's work in progress

Under the Influence was the very first book I picked up and, thankfully, it scared the **** out of me. Really good that you started this thread, KDL.
I highly recommend this book as well to anyone who is unsure about his/her drinking problem.
What really hit me was learning about the progression of the disease, and how it always gets worse, never better.
I was just starting to black out and, as TorontoGuy mentioned, starting to mistrust myself. Scary stuff.
Six months sober and never looking back