Notices

Anyone have an opinion on Hypnosis to quit?

Old 06-28-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone have an opinion on Hypnosis to quit?

Just talked to a friend who used hypnosis to quit smoking. Then went to my psychologist an she is a licensed hypnotherapist. She is a great psychologist.

She said she has a 30% successs rate only because so few people are willing to stick it out for more than one session or do the homework she gives them. She also doesnt believe in using nicotine replacements while going thru it. (i have tried em all - personally- they didnt work for me anyway.)

Any feedback or opinions welcome...I am braced and ready...I asked for it lol.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I did the whole deal, the sessions, the homework the practices. I find self hypnosis works for relaxation and stress reduction and for some pain control. It didn't help me with smoking cessation. I finally used Chantix, which is a harsh drug and some bad side effects but I've been smoke free since October 1, 2010.

Love from Lenina
Old 06-28-2012, 03:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Mo S, I'm 23 days no cigarettes. My sense of smell is coming back, but I'm suffering more than when I quit smoking crack 9 months ago. I've read that quiting cold turkey has the best chance of success. I'm confident I'll never smoke again, but right now things are just awful for me. My entire life revolves around smoking cigarettes. Everything I do has to start with a cigarette first. Honestly though, if I can do it so can you.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Twelve years smoke free and have been participating in online support for people who are quitting smoking for that entire time. I've not yet met anyone who admitted to having success through hypnosis. Other methods seem to work for some people but for those who think a method didn't work it's important to realize that no method quits for you; it's still work.

I used the patches and gum and mainly credit my success to the support of my online friends at alt.support.stop-smoking. They were a usenet group but now have a website at AS3 On The Web: 24/7/365 Stop Smoking Support. I hope it's okay to put that site here-- if not, please feel free to remove.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ok; so its not too many votes for hypnosis. I feel like I am desparate right now for a solution with major support. I actually had a nervous breakdown the last time I tried to quit eeek! I will check out the website Retread....thanks all.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I feel like I am desparate right now for a solution with major support.
If you're desperate and are going to force yourself to quit, chances are that you'll just return to smoking, and maybe more than you have before you "quit".

Why? Because forcing yourself to quit cigarettes is pushing something on yourself that you're not really sure if you want to do it or not. You need to be positive and wanting to quit instead of "oh my god I hate myself because I can't quit". Attitude really does a lot to helping you through quitting. If you're always moping around and crying because you don't have your cigarettes, you're most likely going to relapse. If you're positive about quitting and tell yourself how much better you look, smell, etc etc then your chance for success is high. How would you like to wear some clothes and not worry about it smelling like a old ashtray? Or your vehicle smelling like old stale cigarettes?

You only have positive reasons to quit. What are you missing out on when you quit? Nothing!

I use to hate non-smoking places - HATE them! I use to criticize those who went to them and wouldn't smoke.. How could they live with themselves?!

Then.. I quit smoking and boy oh boy, did it open my eyes! I didn't have to worry about walking in places that were smoke free, in fact, I actually ENJOYED being in them and that gave me a great sense of pride. Then, oddly enough, Wisconsin enacted a smoking ban and then I got to see (and hear) all of the angry smokers yelling about the ban. I just shook my head because their arguments were so dumb about why they should keep smoking inside buildings while killing the health of the employees who worked inside.

I actually had a nervous breakdown the last time I tried to quit eeek!
Here we go with the negative attitude! "They last time I quit....X happened to me!" "X didn't work for me so now I'm screwed!". Why do we pound ourselves in the ground on a daily basis and remind ourselves about the last time we tried to quit. This is a NEW beginning, this isn't your previous quitting attempt, that's done and over with... move on!

If need be, you can check out the book that helped me quit smoking. Remember, don't be desperate and say "THIS BETTER WORK!!" and think a magical genie will appear, poke you with a stick and you're magically cured of smoking. You'll have withdrawals, I had them, but I didn't go back to smoking because I didn't want to! I had no desire left in me to go back to something that was killing me and ruining my life (and my bank account). When I quit smoking cigarettes were $5 a pack, when I moved from Wisconsin to NC - 2 years later, cigarettes were $7 a pack (In wisconsin).. I would of been spending a fortune!
Old 10-06-2012, 04:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What is hypnosis by Real Hypnotherapy

The whole world will give you an opinion on hypnosis but to give an opinion you have to know what hypnosis is. There is evidence above to show that there are hypnotherapists out there that have not got a clue.