Notices

Diet Changed with Sobriety

Old 06-26-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Diet Changed with Sobriety

I've been sober for 49 days today. When I was drinking I pretty much only ate meat and potatoes or meat and pasta. Now that I'm sober I'm constantly craving fruits and vegetables and my meat cravings have gone way down. Anyone else notice this change in their diet? Any one know why this would happen besides immersing myself in a healthier lifestyle?
Old 06-26-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Since being sober (almost 3 months) I have taken way better care of myself, diet included. I have lost a lot of weight and am making much better choices when it comes to food. I think we just have a lot more self awareness and appreciation for ourselves when sober and want to look after our bodies more. Congrats!
Old 06-26-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by walktheline1 View Post
I've been sober for 49 days today. When I was drinking I pretty much only ate meat and potatoes or meat and pasta. Now that I'm sober I'm constantly craving fruits and vegetables and my meat cravings have gone way down. Anyone else notice this change in their diet? Any one know why this would happen besides immersing myself in a healthier lifestyle?
I have been craving fruit. I think it's the sugar in it. I usually thought of myself as a healthy eater even when on the drink, but never wanted fruit, as I avoided anything sweet. I did not like anything sweet while I was a drinker.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been craving fruit juices and smoothies rather than soda and coffee. But for some reason I have a problem with my weight: I lost nearly a stone in the past month and I am now quite severely underweight. I am embarrassed about this because it seems a strange thing to complain about for a middle aged man but while my colleagues and friends seem to be getting heavier, I'm getting really rather thin.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes - I used to eat meat every single day on the days I ate (there were some days I just drank vodka and didn't eat anything). Now I only feel like eating animal protein maybe 2 out of 7 days. It makes me feel better, prevents more hormone/antibiotic laden factory farmed meat from entering my body, and it's just a lot better for the environment. Good on you.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

I've been drinking coffee.. which I never used to do. Weird!
Old 06-26-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Tea and water for me LOTS of tea
Old 06-26-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Old 06-26-2012, 06:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I also started drinking coffee which I seldom did before. Loving the fruits also. I dropped 25 lbs since quitting in March.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am only on day 8, but I have been craving a lot of tea and water. I am so hydrated, I feel like I will float away! As far as food, I never ate when I drank. I only craved alcohol. Now, I am just hungry all the time and I need to make better food choices. Of course, my body is very confused and is just happy to get something, anything, inside the stomach, so I need to be understanding of that.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My digestion was real messed up when I was drinking. Maybe you are appreciating feeling better. High-fiber makes me feel good too!
Old 06-26-2012, 09:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

My sweet tooth is kind of out of control. Mostly fruits and ice pops (sugar free Pop Ice all day!!) and gummie candies. I've always been a huge fan of veggies but this whole ice pop thing is just crazy. I have an eating disorder as well which is really giving me troubles right now since i'm not drinking. Pop Ice and most fruits and veggies are "safe" foods but when my craves turn to gummies and occasional starches my ED goes nuts. I feel like i'm winning the battles against one addiction and helplessly losing the battles against the other.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I couldn't believe how much sugar i craved initially, also very I was very water retentive.

I'm only 65 days (now I hate counting days but I guess it helps to compare symptoms) and in the last week or two I'm starting to get my mojo together, making better food decisions and not being all 'woe is me' if I decide to eat some junk. Quitting has really given me confidence in other areas of my life, the crutch is gone, but I'm finding I don't' need it.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Protein is great for weaning off the sugar, try nuts/boiled eggs/lean meat. I'm making these delicious (they are calorie bombs beware, but very filling), ground nuts, natural nut butter, little coconut oil and maybe some chopped dark dark (say 80%) chocolate snack balls, which are fantastic at re-setting your sweet tooth.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have kept up with these posts and I can relate to those that weren't really drinking coffee when they were drinking alcohol. When I woke up I grabbed a beer. Coffee wasn't even thought of. However, I did drink coffee before I started drinking a lot.

So, the reason I stopped the coffee is pretty apparent.

I'm sure the sugar cravings are from the lack of sugar I got from the alcohol -- creating it in my bloodstream..... or however that works.