Notices

Speaker: Charles "Po-Boy" Rice

Old 06-25-2012, 04:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recoveringed

at Clusters Workshop, Chattsworth GA., Nov. 85

Po Boy’s message is a real hardcore story about his life, alcoholism, and eventual recovery. He’s from Conyers, Georgia and proudly states that he is very “countrified.” Po Boy grew up in the Deep South; his daddy was a moonshiner and a sharecropper. He was still in diapers when he had his first taste of liquor. Po Boy says that because of his poverty he harbored a lot of resentment while growing up. He ended up on a prison chain gang for four years. A few days after getting out of prison he was driving drunk with his mama, had an accident and killed her. He went into prison again in October 1937. He escaped from that prison twice. After that he was placed in maximum security and while escaping from there he released 100 more prisoners. After spending 20 more years in prison he was finally paroled. Po Boy then begins telling the story of his recovery. He tells of taking his fifth step with his sponsor and having not just a spiritual experience, but having a “spiritual conniption fit.” He eventually got a full pardon from the state of Georgia. At the end of his talk, Po Boy says, “The problem that you have today or any problem you may have out yonder in the future, is never, never, never greater than this source of power that I’ve been trying my level best to share with you folks here this morning. Thank you. I just love every one of you.”

"We recover by the Steps we take, NOT the meetings we make"
Old 06-25-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

hay,thanks a lot
I haven`t heard of po boy rice in a very long time.He`s got quite a story
I`m gonna listen to it now.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recoveringed

Originally Posted by Tommyh View Post
hay,thanks a lot
I haven`t heard of po boy rice in a very long time.He`s got quite a story
I`m gonna listen to it now.
He really does. It is hands down among the most incredible stories I have ever heard about the absolute transformation of a human being, and the triumph of good in the human spirit. From the poverty and chain gangs to accidentally killing his mother, the life of crime and escapes from prison to a man who speaks with so much heart, love, gratitude and perspective, it is a very powerful experience overall. I must admit I have thought many times about what kind of amends might be required when you've released 100 men from prison, and I'm grateful I don't have to do it. "Po-Boy" will stay in my heart for life. I have listened to this one again and again, and it never ceases to amaze me. I hope others get the same opportunity to hear this alcoholic share about what became possible in his life through recovery with AA and HP.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Looking for a working link for Charles "Po-Boy" Rice Speaker

at Clusters Workshop, Chattsworth GA., Nov. 85

Thanks
Old 04-15-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was all geared up to play the Po-boy tape and the link didn't work for me.. Looked for it and couldn't find it.. It's probably an operator error, any help or a new link would be appreciated..

Thanks and Happy Friday!!
Old 04-15-2016, 11:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Happy Friday Dave!

I looked as well and found nothing but listings. The link is from 2012.

Maybe someone else has more skills than me. lol
Old 04-15-2016, 11:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Double Post
Old 04-15-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you, it would be helpful if I look at the date the OP was posted.. Hello, Dave! Thanks again, have a wonderful weekend!!
Old 04-15-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I too would like a working link to Po Boy Rice talk as I had a tape in the past and some how missed placed it or was probably borrowed by someone and not replaced, he has an incredible story.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I could not find a working link to a free copy of his talk but I found a copy from a man who records talks.I ordered a cd from him 8.00
His web site got hacked and it is down now but I have his email address if anyone wants it,just pm me and I`ll send it to you