Notices

Tradition 8

Old 06-23-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tradition 8

Alcoholics Anonymous should remain forever nonprofessional, but our service centers may employ special workers.

Do I try to sound in AA like an expert on alcoholism? On recovery? On medicine? On sociology? On AA itself? On psychology? On spiritual matters? Or, heaven help me, even on humility?

Some people like to call AA "Therapy" but it is not therapy in the strict sense of the word. When a professional in the alcoholism field, even one who is in the fellowship, does real therapy with a person who has not yet attended AA, or hasn't completely dropped the rock of denial, or is continually relapsing or who is in early stages of the program, this is NOT "paid 12th step work". It is therapy!The question I always like to ask isoes this make 12 step work possible?When an intergroup office pays office workers to keep the phones answered and the lights on they are living directly within the spirit of this tradition.When I ( as an AA member) sit in a meeting and rant about rehabs, doctors, or any other topic related to AA members I run the risk of going against this tradition. And if I am going against one, am I supporting any?It is easier to abandon yourself 100% than 98%
Old 06-23-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If a person comes to AA and the hand of AA is extended, there is no expectation of fees, in fact the opposite... But if a person presents to a professional and requests treatment, there is that expectation. Whether the professional is a fellow AA or not, is irrelevant. It's not AA, or sponsor/sponsee... It is a doctor/patient relationship.

No issues with the 8th tradition that I see.