Notices

Step 8

Old 06-23-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Step 8

"We have a list of all persons we have harmed and to whom we are willing to make amends. We made it when we took inventory."- BB page 76

A quick read of the Big Book reveals that our 4th step gives us all we need for our 8th step list. So are we done?

A few sentences down on the same page we are confronted with some direction:" If we haven’t the will to do this, we ask until it comes."- BB page 76

It is ok to still be feeling any way you do. Facing ourselves ( possibly for the first time in our lives) is sure to leave us feeling raw, and perhaps even still resentful. Step 8 is part action and part attitude: first you make a list; second you become willing. How will you become willing?

Some things other members have come across on their 8th step:

Why am I not willing to make amends with some of the people on my list? Do I have fear of making direct amends? Do I have persistent resentment toward some? Am I unable to see the harm I have caused?

Before making direct amends to anyone it may be a good idea to:

Talk with a sponsor
Pray
talk with others in the fellowship
Pray some more
Old 06-23-2012, 05:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

I added some creditors to my 8th step list that weren't on my 4th step list. No resentment, but I owed. I'm working on paying them off now....
Old 06-26-2012, 09:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Just because I have a resentment against someone doesn't mean I automatically own them an amends. The resentment list I created on the 4th was a good starting point to working on my amends list.

I had a sponsee once who was working on her 4th. She had a tiff with a girl in our homegroup and I asked her if she was on it. Her reply "No way! I'm not putting her on there because I'm not making amends to her." Now, a lot can be said about that statement but one important thing is that, like I said, just because you have a resentment, it doesn't mean you automatically owe and amends. With that logic, if a women has a resentment against a man that violated and/or abuse her she would owe him an amend. Doesn't jive with me.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just because I have a resentment against someone doesn't mean I automatically own them an amends
Of course, I hope my post didn't come off as in any way implying that every resentment demands an amend. But:

Every resentment has the power to kill. The only place the Big Book uses the word disease in the first 164 is in chapter 5 where it talks about resentment
Old 06-26-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

I owe no amends when I was actually a victim. I am guided to pages 66-67.

I didn't resent my creditors, but my failure to pay them does effect my credit, so selfishly I will pay them....(!?!)

There is a reason I speak with my sponsor about these things!
Old 06-26-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I believe the amends process is one of the few steps where sponsorship is mandatory.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

No Upper, you didn't necessarily imply that but I've heard so many people who think that's the case....or that there's no work to be done on the 8th because it was done on the 4th. So not true.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UpperbucksAAguy View Post
Talk with a sponsor
Pray
talk with others in the fellowship
Pray some more
This was all i needed for my 8th step.