*~*~*~*~*^ Big Book Quote ^*~*~*~*~*

"It is plain that a life which includes deep resentment leads only to
futility and unhappiness. To the precise extent that we permit
these, do we squander the hours that might have been worth while."

Alcoholics Anonymous, How It Works, pg. 66
Old 06-23-2012, 04:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

no heres a funny story on this:
about 2-3 months into recovery. the fgo had lifted and the anger that i had before came back and i was workin on it. my brother came up to visit. we used to smoke ot and drink together. it was the 1st time i had seen him since i got into recovery.
he wasnt drinking but he was smokin pot( sneakily, so he thought). i was able to hear what i was like. was getting really po'ed, so i did what i was open up the big book withou picking a page and just start reading.
wouldnt ya know it, this is the page i turn to!! i got through this paragraph and then, " i already know this crap!! just about threw the BB across the yard!! sat back down and started reading more.
But with the alcoholic, whose hope is the maintenance and growth of a spiritual experience, this business of resentment is infinitely grave. We found that it is fatal. For when harboring such feelings we shut ourselves off from the sunlight of the Spirit. The insanity of alcohol returns and we drink again. And with us, to drink is to die.

If we were to live, we had to be free of anger. The grouch and the brainstorm were not for us. They may be the dubious luxury of normal men, but for alcoholics these things are poison.

thats as far as i got and i couldnt read any more! got in my car and went for a ride til meeting time. the man who was my 1st sponsor was there early and i told him about it. he asked,"how far did ya read?" i told him. he slid ta BB across the table and said," keep reading.
oh.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

after rereading this, i need more caffeine to wake up! terrible typing.