Notices

Open-mindedness

Old 06-16-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Open-mindedness

Each of us here struggles with addiction so we have all walked in similar shoes at one point in time. Can you remember how terrifying it was when you first stopped drinking? Today in a Daily Reflection Meeting we discussed open-mindedness. I am sure many of us have been judged at one time bc of our addiction or mental illness etc...Its a horrible feeling to be judged and rejected in the world for something we had no control over at the time.

We are ALL powerless over alcohol or any other addiction and in arms length reach for the next drink. No one is is better than anyone else and what we need to remember is to remain open minded and put youself in the shoes of someone who is new. Not everyone has put down a drink and never picked one up again for some of us many relapses were involved before we got it.

We are all in the same shoes whether we have a day sober or forty years sober so I think its important to remember that the only control we have is over ourselves. We are all different people with different coping skills. What may work for some may not work for others so all we can do in the rooms or on message boards is to be kind and supportive to those reaching out for help.

People only come here if they feel like they have a problem but not sure what the next step is or how to quit. NO ONE has the right to make others feel worse when they already feel so bad about themselves.

I heard in a meeting the other night "God please treat me today how I treated others yesterday." Everyone should remain aware of this.

Have a great sober free evening.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

fantastic post IC - thank you!

D
Old 06-16-2012, 08:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I love the idea shared in this prayer..

"I set aside
Everything I think I know
About myself, addiction,
recovery, and life;
For an open mind
And a new experience
of myself, addiction,
recovery and life. "

I have so much to learn about myself, my addiction and my recovery, and so much to learn from others who generously share their experiences with me.

May we all remain open.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Spiritual Learner

Good post we are all equals! Thank you
Old 06-16-2012, 09:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Well said!
Old 06-16-2012, 09:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good, wise words, Inner Child.

Thank you.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love this. Thanks, IC.

This is the kind of post that prompted me to stick around SR 18 months ago. Acceptance, open-mindedness, humility. Those are the traits that drew me in, and helped me to believe in myself.

I'm replying from a tent in my back yard right now, my daughter asleep by my side. In three days I'll officially hit 18 months without a drink. I am so incredibly grateful for SR. The generosity of spirit behind posts like this—the self-confidence that enables someone to look beyond the narrow corridor of their own experience—that's what I love most about SR.

That and Dee's collection of Muppet avatars.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Thank you , I try every day to do the right thing. Sometimes I dont, but I still try.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Thank you. Newcomers should not be discouraged. What inspired me to write this in not only the judgement made by some on this board but a woman in my AA meeting who is newly sober opened up at this meeting crying bc some AA member at another meeting kept bashing the newcomers.

Thankfully I go to meetings where this does not occur but we all have to remember to be kind and those who have done the 12 Steps should know this and its not important if you havent kindness, compassion, humility, gratitude, and having an open mind not only keeps us sober but we can also help others who already feel judged by the world. Alcoholics should stick together.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Well put, Innerchild. Thanks for the reminder!
Old 06-17-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by Innerchild View Post
Thank you. Newcomers should not be discouraged. What inspired me to write this in not only the judgement made by some on this board but a woman in my AA meeting who is newly sober opened up at this meeting crying bc some AA member at another meeting kept bashing the newcomers.

Thankfully I go to meetings where this does not occur but we all have to remember to be kind and those who have done the 12 Steps should know this and its not important if you havent kindness, compassion, humility, gratitude, and having an open mind not only keeps us sober but we can also help others who already feel judged by the world. Alcoholics should stick together.
Thanks for sharing this. I don't feel like I need to be coddled, but the Marine Sgt sort of approach never worked for me either. Truth shared with love and respect has been the most helpful style of all for me.

People who have encouraged me, invited me towards deeper awareness and shared their experiences without implying they were more valid than my own have been the one's who have made me want to "ride their coat tails."