Notices

12 Stupid Things...

Old 06-12-2012, 05:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

12 Stupid Things...

I just finished reading a book by Allen Berger, PhD, called "12 Stupid Things That Mess up Recovery". It was probably the best modern book I've read on recovery, as it cuts out the BS and gets to the practical matters that are important to me.

There's an exercise at the end that reminded me of how tough it is to get started on this incredible journey. It's a list of open-ended sentences that the reader is to finish, and was a very good exercise in calling out my excuses in addiction.

At 10 months, it was a good reminder that I need to remain cognizant of those excuses to remain sober. It's part of the healing process. And, as a fellow AA member told me Saturday, I'm just a 10 month old infant in this process. I'm still learning.

One of the biggest differences in my sobriety this time around, is that I realize that this is a lifelong journey, not an exercise or diet to engage in for a few months and be happy when initial results are achieved. This is a nearly total renovation, where I am creating a new person out of the framework that was my old self. And it's really cool to be doing so.

I hope the newcomers, of which I really am still one, can consider their recovery in a similar manner. Keep your eyes on the prize that is out several months or years, and you can make it through each day. It's achievable, even when it may not seem to be today. And life is a lot better.

Pour yourself into everything you can find on the subject of alcoholism and addiction, and get involved in a program. Find other live people to meet with who struggle similarly. And pray like you are saving your soul. Because you just may be.

Hang in there! It gets better! And, if you seek Him, God is there, ready to hold you in the palms of His hands while He heals you.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have read it and I agree! He also has another book along those lines, but I can't think of the exact name of it now. It is another 12 Stupid things I think.

He is awesome.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What an Awesome Post Lofty...You sound like you "Get It".
Old 06-12-2012, 09:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the book recommendation. I'll check it out! At five years sober this coming Friday I'm still full of excuses. Thanks for your post.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Congrats, losingmygrip! 5 yrs is awesome!
Old 06-13-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A girl can dream...

WOW! Congrats on 5 years, losingmygrip!
Old 06-13-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

I was just looking at that book! I read a sample and will probably download it. Thanks for the review! I wasn't sure if it'd be helpful or not.

Here's the other book that at first glance I wasn't all that interested in, but maybe I was wrong:

12 Smart Things to Do When the Booze and Drugs Are Gone: Choosing Emotional Sobriety through Self-Awareness and Right Action

Amazon.com: 12 Smart Things to Do When the Booze and Drugs Are Gone: Choosing Emotional Sobriety through Self-Awareness and Right Action (9781592858217): Allen Berger Ph.D.: Books

It just didn't seem all that practical.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hexipuff

Reading 12 Stupid Things That Mess Up Recovery: Avoiding Relapse Through Self-awareness and Right Action, started it today, about half way through

It is really interesting and useful, written in a way I can truely relate to.
I am just over three months sober. This book is helping me already. I keep reading and sitting back and thinking about what has been written going - yep that's me, yep that's me too.....

I think I will read it all the way through and then go back and take it slowly.

Thank you LoftyIdeals for sharing this.