Notices

The brain on alcohol

Old 06-04-2012, 03:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The brain on alcohol

Hi all,

I have seen a few different places where the time frame to get your brain adjusted to being without alcohol takes some time...

I was wondering if anyone had any good resources about the medical science involved?

It occurred to me that I really don't know who I am or how I think without alcohol being injected (lol not literally of course) into my brain at least every few days... I stopped for 30 days once and it seemed like I was about on the edge of a whole new me, and then I went right back to it.

Today is Day 1 for me again but I am determined...

I want to be the person I am meant to be... I can literally feel the presence of alcohol in my life like an anchor.

Also, I was wondering if someone stays sober for say... 60 days and then has one relapse, does it resent the brain's wiring??

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've been sober for close to a week now and I have been wondering the same thing. My brain is much more sharp now and I've been able to shake off any thoughts about drinking but I am worried about a relapse because I relapsed once before after alcohol put me in the hospital for pancreatitis.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not very scientific I'm afraid Reed

You'll find some information looking through our Secular forum tho...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rch-links.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...d-edition.html

or our excerpts from the book Under The Influence

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

D
Old 06-04-2012, 08:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Stop thinking about the medical aspect. Recovery is an experience. Everything keeps getting more clear, the brain feels better every day. Try staying stopped now! You can do it!

Or do a search on the internet, there is a wealth of information on how the brain heals. I don't suggest drinking after 60 days, the body can't always handle the amount the brain wants, and yes, it does reset at least some of the damage, although everyone is different and we are each a walking scientific experiment. Guinea pig, if you will. Just work on staying stopped!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

KISS.

the hardest thing for an alcoholic to do is see just how simple life really is.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You might find this link interesting....

Alcohol Chemistry and You

My guess is there are too many variables that need consideration
in order to have a time line.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"Under the Influence: A Guide to the Myths and Realities of Alcoholism"
by
(Dr. James R. Milam and Katherine Ketcham)

I bought that book a couple of years ago on recommendation from SR folks. It's a good one and explains a lot.

Amazon.com: Under the Influence: A Guide to the Myths and Realities of Alcoholism (9780553274875): James Robert Milam, Katherine Ketcham: Books
Old 06-05-2012, 03:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Each relapse gets worse. Chronic relapsers die.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't know about the science, but my mind is MUCH sharper when sober. I love how I feel right now. I am lucky, in that I am much happier also, the "day after blues" with drinking were brutal for me.

I am always surprised at how resilient the body is if we don't abuse it continually. Hope you are feeling better!
Old 06-05-2012, 05:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I too appreciate the scientific studies on addiction as part of my recovery. For example, a good article called "The addicted brain: insights from brain imaging" (google it for free article) helped me understand, as did easy reads like Time Magazine's Addiction and the Brain. Both (as well as the book mentioned above) show that addiction disrupts the normal balance of brain circuits that control rewards, memory, and cognition leading to compulsive drug taking (quoting Time).

So basically, alcohol or drugs come to have a higher value in the reward circuit, and natural reinforcers have lowered effect or value. Some of this may be genetic expression. Once the drug is over valued in reward circuit, it effects memory amd learning, so we ignore all the bad stuff about taking alcohol and compulsively seek drug taking. That's how I understand it anyway. It helps to remind me to "think through" any desire for a drink, disassociate drinking, and focus much more on seeking natural reinforcers like exercise, doing good work, loving thoughts, etc. I figure its like a muscle I need to strengthen, as I've let it lay dormant. Now, I feel so much more aware and open to things, it's almost overwhelming. My memory has begun to improve as well.

Good luck on your sobriety journey, it's a wonderful gift!
Old 06-05-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the articles and book suggestions. Sounds very interesting