Notices

anyone deal with dizziness in the weeks after quitting?

Old 05-31-2012, 06:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

anyone deal with dizziness in the weeks after quitting?

hi all,
i'm on day 14. it's going pretty well so far. hitting the meetings every day, following all the suggestions, keeping busy trying to do the next right thing.

one thing i have noticed the past two days is that i've had some dizzy spells.
maybe 2-3 times per day...doesn't seem to matter if i am sitting or walking...if i am walking, i have to stop and grab onto something because i feel almost as if i will fall.
not sure if this could have something to do with quitting drinking?
anyone have experience with this?
i've been dreading calling my doc, as i really don't like her.
in any event i suppose i should get a new one and get a check-up on the old liver...eh?
xoxo
Old 05-31-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I use to feel like I was going to fall and had to grab onto something when I was having anxiety attacks after drinking the night before. Since I quit drinking, I no longer have this issue. You may want to get your blood checked by a doctor. You could be hypoglycemic. Alcohol has a lot of sugar in it and to suddenly stop with all this sugar can wreak havoc on your system.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just wish to say that ive heard the same thing. I'm not alcoholic myself, drugs was my thing, but I go to AA for the message and have heard many an alcoholic say that.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes see your doctor. I have felt dizzy myself once or twice since quitting so I wouldn't panic too much about it.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me, it is often that I am just dehydrated when I feel tired, lightheaded, headaches, bodyaches or dizzy. I think it is important to establish a habit of drinking water, especially as the summer is here. I keep two water bottles filled in my fridge and keep one at my office.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I still feel dizzy and unbalanced, can'r ride my bike. Maybe it will pass I don't know. We just go on a little weaving but mostly forward.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...I do think a change in doctors and being honest about your drinking
patterns is a wise idea.

I know I neglected many things as a drinker...medical check ups were one..
Ask for a blood panel chemical test...it's easy ..often has solid answers.

Well done on your early recovery...
Old 05-31-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I started getting the dizziness\vertigo in the last few years of my drinking career, bordering dementia at times. That was one of the worst parts of of my life and took many months to subside, every now and then I'd have an episode (even while lying in bed). Slow and steady progress, now at over 8 months I rarely feel it anymore.
Good luck.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

For me, it was day 5. Just like today, oddly enough, but that's not the point.
I woke up feeling light headed and at 3.30, I phoned my fiance who said 'You sound awful, get yourself along to casualty'
When I got there, they took me into a little room to sit down. 'You're not really with us' they said. [The next door neighbour had asked if I'd been drinking.]
So after asking if I'd been drinking - I told them I'd quit - or was 'using recreational drugs' - I wasn't. They took my blood pressure and blood sugar.
There wasn't a doctor there, so they wanted to send me on to another hospital where there was. It would have been 2 buses there, and 2 back. So they gave me half an hour, re-checked my blood pressure and told me to see my doctor the next day. Oh yes, and on my discharge note it just said that I was 'unwell.'
Went to see the doc, she told me I was probably just dehydrated, drink plenty of fluids and come back next week.
Ended up seeing different doctor. As soon as I described how I'd been, because I had to explain everything again. She fixed on how much I was drinking. Even when I told her I'd quit. Made me answer the 10 questions. So now it's in my notes. Now that, as Alanis Morissette would say, is ironic.