Notices

Tradition 7

Old 05-30-2012, 06:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tradition 7

Tradition 7

The A.A. groups themselves ought to be fully supported by the voluntary contributions of their own members. We think that each group should soon achieve this ideal; that any public solicitation of funds using the name of Alcoholics Anonymous is highly dangerous, whether by groups, clubs, hospitals, or other outside agencies; that acceptance of large gifts from any source, or of contributions carrying any obligation whatever, is unwise. Then too, we view with much concern those A.A. treasuries which continue, beyond prudent reserves, to accumulate funds for no stated A.A. purpose. Experience has often warned us that nothing can so surely destroy our spiritual heritage as futile disputes over property, money, and authority.

Honestly now, do I do all I can to help AA (my group, my central office, my GSO) remain self-supporting?

If I do not have money ( and do not let anyone shame you into putting what you don't have in the basket) what else can I do? Consider the story of Bill's sponsor Ebby:Ebby called Bill on the phone ( personal cost) and then got into the subway (personal cost) Spirituality and money began to mix. One without the other would have amounted to nothing at all.” “Right then and there, Ebby established the principle that A.A. in action calls for the sacrifice of much time and a little money.” So, perhaps you don't have money for the basket this week. Can you provide a ride to and from the meeting? Can you make a phone call to a newcomer instead of waiting for them to call that 1000 pound phone? Can you give up some time outside the hour-long meeting to ensure AA remains self supporting?For additional reading, refer to the pamphlet where money and spirituality mix- http://www.aa.org/pdf/products/f-3_selfsupport.pdf
Old 05-30-2012, 07:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for the reminder....
Old 05-30-2012, 08:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

AA has no dues or fees but we have expenses.Visitors and newcomers are asked not to give

thats what we say before we pass the basket at my homegroup
Old 05-30-2012, 09:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I understand if you don't have the money. However, I hate when I see the guy come in with his $4 latte, look at his I-phone after he just gets out of his new car AND contribute nothing to the basket. Yeah I watch like a hawk when the basket goes round. When I use to chair I passed the basket around twice so I could catch the late arrivals to the meeting. Especially true for those that have years of sobriety. The program gave you a real life, is a $1 that hard to contribute???
Old 05-30-2012, 10:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Each person
is like an actor who wants to run the whole show;
is forever trying to arrange the lights, the ballet, the
scenery and the rest of the players in his own way. If
his arrangements would only stay put, if only people
would do as he wished, the show would be great.
Everybody, including himself, would be pleased. Life
would be wonderful.

What is his basic
trouble? Is he not really a self-seeker even when trying
to be kind? Is he not a victim of the delusion that
he can wrest satisfaction and happiness out of this
world if he only manages well?
Is it not evident to all
the rest of the players that these are the things he
wants? And do not his actions make each of them
wish to retaliate, snatching all they can get out of the
show? Is he not, even in his best moments, a producer
of confusion rather than harmony?
Our actor is self-centered—ego-centric, as people
like to call it nowadays.

So our troubles, we think, are basically of our own
making
. They arise out of ourselves, and the alcoholic
is an extreme example of self-will run riot, though he
usually doesn’t think so.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by UpperbucksAAguy View Post

If I do not have money ( and do not let anyone shame you into putting what you don't have in the basket) what else can I do? Consider the story of Bill's sponsor Ebby:Ebby called Bill on the phone ( personal cost) and then got into the subway (personal cost) Spirituality and money began to mix. One without the other would have amounted to nothing at all.” “Right then and there, Ebby established the principle that A.A. in action calls for the sacrifice of much time and a little money.
That would make for a pretty good case for AA not being like religion. I have not been to a single church where money in the basket was not given more weight than service work.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

just....
As I suggested to you before...if you do as I do...and close your
eyes when the basket is passed....it certainly won't aggravate you

How simple is that?

BTW some of my HG put in monthly checks as I discovered
when I was treasure. ...ergo they don't contribute via the basket.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I know several people who never put money in the basket.Instead,they mail the treasure a check each month.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Tommyh View Post
I know several people who never put money in the basket.Instead,they mail the treasure a check each month.
Makes a lot of sense for those who want to put more than singles or five's in the basket. A ten or twenty dollar bill might might never make it to the treasurer.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know a few who only put money in the basket of their home group for that same reason
Old 06-01-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was surprised at how very little help I received, actually, from AA members. I wrecked car, shared about it, but nobody offered to help me with rides. No phone calls. The prevailing attitude was that I was to call and ask. I did, after one guy was bragging at meeting about how I only needed to call him. He didn't remember who I was when I called.

I laughed. My gut told me he was blowing smoke.

I personally DO call newcomers, DO offer rides, and DO make it my responsibility to make sure someone has a Big Book. This is the first time I've ever said a word about my own actual experience and how it affected me.

I wanted sobriety, and I absolutely didn't let the lack of assistance stop me.

But I remain skeptical when most people start bragging about 12 step work.

I think there's a huge lack of goodwill today in the rooms towards newcomers. Too bad.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Apparently people forgot about what their responsibilities are. But that's ok. As long as we as individuals don't forget, just for today, to give back what we have been so freely given. A new life. The way that we do that is up to us. It is up to me.