Notices

are you being a .....

Old 05-28-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

are you being a .....

Would there be schisms which would split A.A. apart?

Definition of SCHISM
: division, separation; also : discord, disharmony <a schism between political parties>
a : formal division in or separation from a church or religious body
b : the offense of promoting schism

Examples of SCHISM
a schism between leading members of the party
The meeting was divided by schisms.

last Sunday a sponsee and myself read over the forwards to the 2nd,3rd and 4th editions of the big book.
We got a lot of good conversation out of this word,schisms,and it`s meaning.
We even learned a new question to say to one another when one complained about a meeting etc.
the question is
are you being a schism?
Quit being a schism!
Seek Unity.
Unite!

Ever been a schism?We all have seen them.Schisms makes me feel bad sometimes.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am a firm believer that it is perfectly ok to question what goes on in AA. We are very quick to sweep things under the rug,

I may be wrong but isn't a schism a word to describe the split that happened? Can a person be a schism?
Old 05-28-2012, 03:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by UpperbucksAAguy View Post
I am a firm believer that it is perfectly ok to question what goes on in AA. We are very quick to sweep things under the rug,

I may be wrong but isn't a schism a word to describe the split that happened? Can a person be a schism?
A schismatic is a person who incites a schism within a organization, as it is defined.

Yeah, AA as a worldwide organization can handle whatever questions need to be seriously asked, absolutely they can. Unfortunately, not everybody wants to ask relative questions, and don't always want to ask from authoritve sources, and so, schisms can result from different "unofficial" splinter groups within AA. As well, splinter groups outside of AA exist as well, those that retro-fit the 12 steps to their own means by changing this or that so as to fit in with their own needs in their own respective organizations.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

But AA has already survived all that. The sky has yet to fall. I believe it was Anne Smith ( Doc Bob's wife) who said the best way to respond to criticism is to invite them in.

The first meeting I ever went to was something that even today ( 20+ years later) I would say was a bad meeting. But how many members of our fellowship are so lock step that any such talk will be met with a litany of verbal defenses of the fellowship and inventory of the person making the claim.

In such a case, who is creating the schism?
Old 05-28-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

early AA alcoholics created them and some groups was destroyed along with the lives of some alcoholics.The Fellowship may have even been in danger at one point,I do not know for sure.
Now a days I do see schisms in certain AA situations but AA survives and is still here.
I believe a schism can make me very sick if it is brought on by self and I get wrapped up in it.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Tommyh View Post
early AA alcoholics created them and some groups was destroyed along with the lives of some alcoholics.The Fellowship may have even been in danger at one point,I do not know for sure.
Now a days I do see schisms in certain AA situations but AA survives and is still here.
I believe a schism can make me very sick if it is brought on by self and I get wrapped up in it.
I have been called "divisive" on more than one occasion and don't mind it when I am being called that. I recognized that there were old-school and new-school segments within the fellowship somewhere within my first year of attending meetings.

Originally I wanted to belong to new-school recovery. It made more sense to my analytical mind and was at least a half century newer than old-school recovery. Unfortunately for me, I could not get much in the way of results with it. The proof is in the pudding.

Now I sometimes go out of my way to point out what I see as the great fallacy of recovery (in and out of AA). That fallacy is best summed up in the pseudo-slogan:

"There are no wrong ways to stay sober" (However, there a dozens of unreliable ways to stay sober)."
Old 05-28-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"There's no unity in being different." AA speaker Mickey B.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think this is where the notion of a common solution to a common problem sets such a solid foundation. The "noise" of friction between supposedly autonomous groups is just that - noise.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank god for group conscience! Majority in the room rules.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

what about the minority voice?
Old 05-29-2012, 04:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

http://www.aa.org/pdf/products/p-8_thetwelveconetps.pdf

Concept V
Old 05-29-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

most of the noise I am aware of
is from self annointed AA members...
followers of x or y or z speakers....

Thankfully...they are not in my home group
Old 05-30-2012, 08:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
most of the noise I am aware of
is from self annointed AA members...
followers of x or y or z speakers....

Thankfully...they are not in my home group
Perfectly put Carol.

The problem exists ONLY in other groups - from anyone's point of view. The noise being " WE do AA right ".

Old 05-30-2012, 09:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Once again- what about Concept V?
Old 05-30-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Upperbucks,

Your point is well taken. I will assume and I hope not incorrectly, that with the time you have spent in AA you have had the opportunity to see and perhaps participate in the process where Concept V is put in play.

Some of my most treasured memories of AA as a viable and living organization has been both at District Meetings and also in Area Conferences where topics have been debated in a lively and organized fashion. The call for the minority opinion and the concern with which lesser held opinions are treated has made me a "true believer" that we are an organization that responds from the bottom up.

General Service from a GSR to the convention Delegates are the most effective way by which the previously discussed "schism" can be headed off or in some severe cases repaired. I for one believe that a large part of my sobriety is a direct result of having been involved in General Service. I would encourage anyone who has even a small interest in seeing AA from its "nuts and bolts" perspective to get into service. I have met some wonderful people when I have attended District and Area functions and I hope I have given something back to AA when I have taken positions within these different levels of General Service.

Jon
Old 05-30-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes Jon- Sometime questioning and not going along with the "we always do it that way" or "don't fix what ain't broke" mentality is not noise. The minority voice is a part of what makes AA. We must remember:

The good is the enemy of the best

It isn't always comfortable, and the minority voice isn't always right, but if we are truly an altruistic movement they deserve our consideration. Even the folks that scream about us killing alcoholics
Old 06-01-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

In general, I'm with Upper Bucks. Put it on the table, discuss things, let the minority voice be heard, and then let the group conscience prevail.

And those who cop resentments and beat their chests for the next 40 years....well, God bless em'.