Notices

Alternative 12 steps and online resources

Old 05-26-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Alternative 12 steps and online resources

In my recovery process I have found numerous online resources truly helpful.

One thing I have done regularly is to search for various 12 step programs, for both addition recovery and addressing other life situations that need healing.

Often they have the steps worded or altered to suit the situation or a specific philosophical system. This has really helped me integrate a more comprehensive understanding of the steps and how they play out in different areas of life.

I also search for alternative recovery methods because I need to find what resonates with my experience and philosophy. The last thing I need to be doing is struggling with my recovery! I want to embrace it and live it, not be fighting to swallow it like some awful medicine.

I came upon this site this morning Addiction | Addiction Recovery | Addiction Treatment | Codependency | Shamanic Healing

sorta 12 step, sorta pagan, sorta pantheist, sorta native American...and I really liked it, and thought I'd share it here on the newcomers forum, so people just getting started can see how many supportive recovery options there are, for all manner of addictions, life situtations, philosophies etc.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing
Old 05-26-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

They look pretty similar Threshold...I know people in AA that use the Universe for their Higher Power...I know one lady that uses the Ocean. It's a God of your understanding...But the destination in those steps look pretty close....Hey...Whatever works.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for posting threshold! This looks awesome
Old 05-26-2012, 09:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What I'm curious about....What about support?...I've seen those steps reworded before....But to me the face to face support that is so readily available in AA is key. Unity..Recovery and Service...It's a three legged stool.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I glad you can find what will bring you better overall health and healing.

I too am a searcher of paths that lead one to be recovered from addiction and other healing needed for a better life.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
What I'm curious about....What about support?...I've seen those steps reworded before....But to me the face to face support that is so readily available in AA is key. Unity..Recovery and Service...It's a three legged stool.
It's awesome that you are finding the elements you need for your recovery in AA. F2F is really crucial to many.

For recovery methods and programs that are less widespread, that is often lacking. Luckily there is technology these days that can close many of the gaps caused by distance etc.

Due to living in a remote area, I rely on technology to keep me in contact with other recovering addicts. I have learned to make the best use of that to forward my recovery.