Notices

First Day (Again)

Old 05-26-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Day (Again)

Hi, I'm brand new here. I seem to be able to put together 2 or 3 weeks and then one evening it's like a like a switch gets flipped and like a robot, I'm headed off to buy wine. Don't know what to do to kick the craving to the curb. Is this an OK way to introduce myself? So today it's back to square one. I'm the person who keeps telling myself next (week, month, whatever) I'll quit for real. So freaking frustrated.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR. I also have had the same problem with staying sober for a couple weeks then drinking. This time around I plan on coming on here before just going out and giving in and drinking. Today's a new day and a fresh start at your sober life! You'll find lots of support here.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Dogstar...This is a great site for support...If you are ready to quit...What have you tried and not tried? I was a hopeless alcoholic...I worked the 12 steps of AA and that took care of my problem...Have you tried that yet?
Old 05-26-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello, and welcome.

I drank like you in the beginning, and things steadily got worse. From once in awhile to evey other day then binges that lasted three days. It does get worse, believe me.

Don't be hard on yourself. It's not easy to quit drinking. Many use a program of recovery. Have you thought about that?

You'll find a lot of support here, so I hope you feel free to post as often as you need to.
I understand your situation, and I'm sure may others here do too.

Best to you.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That was my thought too, to come here when the craving hits in the late afternoon. I figured I could at least read some inspirational posts and hopefully I would stay strong.

I went to meetings a few years ago but I loathe talking about myself in groups, and I had a sponser that I'm not sure how to describe, but the group seemed very high schoolish in a "who is most popular, and who has the best sponser" type of way and it turned me off. Didn't go back and been trying to do it on my own. I've also read Rational Recovery. I do need help, just not sure of the best way for me. Found this Forum by googling what to do about cravings. HTH.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

AA helped me to stop drinking. Trying by myself did not work.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You could have been in the wrong meeting and had the wrong sponsor....I kept looking till I found what I wanted.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Hi Dogstar - Welcome and glad you are here.

As an alcoholic, our brains and "switches" just don't work that same way as non-alcoholics. Where a "normy" will have one or two drinks and then want to stop drinking, we can't see the purpose in that.

For me, one of the things that helped was realizing that my body treated alcohol differently - at a chemical level. But, it is more than physical, as it becomes the crutch for all emotional issues. What worked for me was reaching out and getting help from others. It sounds like you tried to do that, and you didn't like the experience, but remember that there are many different groups, meetings and types of recovery programs. You just need to try again until you find one that does work for you. Not to be over dramatic, but your life will depend on it.

For me, my program of recovery is AA + SR + working with other alcoholics. But, many people have found other ways that work as well. The key for me was not blaming myself for what was happening ... but also taking responsibility for the fact that I needed to stop and couldn't do this alone.

Keep posting on SR and reaching out to others. Alcohol is not our problem, it was just the solution to our problems. Therefore, it is important to work with others to help understand what the true problem is. Take care.