Notices

Like Marathon Runners of Addiction

Old 05-25-2012, 06:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Like Marathon Runners of Addiction

At my worst this young nurse kept pumping serious drugs in me and she said I just shook them off, she said she couldn't understand it, I just explained I'd been in a lifetime of training. She says aren't you in pain, I said, only emotional. The young have so much to learn but I don't want to be their trainer. Medical schools have a lot to teach. Pumping drugs into an addict? Let me hurt a bit.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You OK? Not sure how to take some of your posts lately. You alright?
lee
Old 05-25-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Fitz))) as a former nurse (lost that career to addiction) I can say that I wasn't adequately trained to deal with addiction. Unless you came in the door saying "I'm an RA", a positive drug screen, or knowing someone was a "dr. shopper" I didn't have a clue.

I don't really think it's a lack of education, as you know A's can be really convincing. I was in the ER a few months ago, fell down the stairs and my face was green with bruises, HUGE knot on my head, but I didn't go to the ER until my side was in excruciating pain.

I told the traige nurse, the admitting nurse, and the doctor "I'm a recovering addict". Ended up "just" having cracked ribs, dr. said "okay, what do we do about your pain because I do NOT want to mess up your recovery". We worked out a plan, I stretched 3 days of pain pills to over a week as I was scared of that familiar feeling of "ooh, feels GOOD".

Not everyone is honest. A hospital I worked at gave morphine because it was cheaper. When it all comes down to it? Unless I am unconscious, I will tell every single doctor, dentist, nurse, etc. that I'm a recovering addict.

As a former RN, it wasn't always easy to see who was really in pain vs. who just wanted dope unless they were a "frequent flyer". I'm not justifuing what the medical profession does, in any way, but I can say that it had to be pretty obvious before I would doubt that someone had legit pain. If I were a nurse today? ooooh, I'd be looking for addiction signs all OVER the place

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-25-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leemzer View Post
You OK? Not sure how to take some of your posts lately. You alright?
lee
Yea thanks, just went through some scarey stuff. I'll try to be the old me. Course the old me is getting older. Truefully, I'm sober but have not been so well for awhile and I can get tired but I'll bounce back even if its on an old broken matress. I'd take some of my posts with a grain salt, but not to much and throw in some pepper for seasoning. How are you doing my friend?
Old 05-25-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are feeling better, Fitz. I've always enjoyed your posts.