Notices

Quit Percocet After 4 Years - Cymbalta for Depression

Old 05-25-2012, 08:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quit Percocet After 4 Years - Cymbalta for Depression

I was on percocet for about 4 years, at the end I was on around 100mg per day probably. I have been off for about 2 weeks (cold turkey pretty much - super aggressive weening in 1 week), and I am so insanely depressed. Not eating, it's crazy hard to work (self employed) and isolated. I was wondering if Cymbalta works after quitting percocet to help take away some of the depression to assist me in not going back to pain medication. I just can't find any happiness in anything, and I think it's because a variety of issues including recent money problems. Anyway, let me know your thoughts as to whether the cymbalta works since I have lowered the dopamine levels in my brain.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

If you drink alcohol of any kind with any regularity DO NOT take cymbalta.

I have liver issues because I was on that for two years and drank. They do not mix.

For the reasons you are asking about your doctor should be the one to decide.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Yep, second Weasel. This is a question for a doctor, for two reasons: our forum rules prohibit that sort of talk from the members, and, why would you ask a random assortment of strangers whether a certain psychoactive drug might be appropriate?

See a Dr.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A doctor is mentioning that this may help, but I want to be careful not to cause more problems for myself.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Diez de Mayan

You need to talk to a dr. like the others said.

I take cymbalta for depression and it works ''somewhat''. I feel better, but not ''happy dappy'' that' s for sure!

Best wishes!
Old 05-25-2012, 10:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Your brain is messed up after being on Percocet so long. It is used to using the Percocet to feel good. Give your body time to adjust to being without pain meds.

I am on Prozac and I know that it didn't have a chance in h&ll to work while I was taking hydro. I have been clean for 24 days now. Go talk to a doctor to see exactly what is going on and whether an anti-depressant is called for or not. We sure can't make that diagnosis for you, but hopefully a skilled doctor can.

Congrats on 2 weeks!!!
Old 05-25-2012, 10:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Originally Posted by luckycharmz337 View Post
A doctor is mentioning that this may help, but I want to be careful not to cause more problems for myself.
All anti depressants have some side effects. I've been on many different ones and it is a big decision as to go on them or not. There have been some that I have been on that have horrible withdrawl effects...worse than any pain med withdrawl for me. You can google search different meds, but often it's just the negative side effect people post about. The ones that are doing good are out living their lives instead of posting I have found.

I have never been on Cymbalta btw
Old 05-25-2012, 11:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is by no means medical advice but I had a heck of a time withdrawing from cymbalta. It took literally months.
Btw- I went off of it because my liver enzymes were high from drinking with it-very dangerous. I gave it up instead of the wine. Not smart!

Maybe I'm a slow learner but I am now on it again and was drinking with it again. This time I am giving up the wine!
Old 05-25-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome luckycharmz337

yeah you need to ask your Dr - if you're not sure about advice you've already been given by your medico about this, get a second professional opinion

D