Notices

lazy blob

Old 05-20-2012, 07:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

lazy blob

This is my first sober night in a while. It's my first night before a new job. All I need to do is feed my cat, clean his litter box, switch the laundry, and MAYBE pick out an outfit for my first day. I've been trying to do this stuff all day, and I can't seem to get out of bed (except when I spent 2 hours driving around trying to get to an AA meeting unsuccessfully). I'm too lazy to even eat dinner. Is this normal soon after quitting?? how long should it last??
Old 05-20-2012, 08:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can't say what normal is, but I experienced lethargy and a lack of appetite the first few days after I quit. It passed after about four days or so if I remember.

The new job tomorrow will make your day pretty eventful. Make sure you are staying very well hydrated, and make sure you have snacks to keep your blood sugar from tanking and turning you into an insane person. Some sweets wouldn't hurt either.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Spiritual Learner

It just feels antsy right now I bet before you leave the house you will have some clothes on! Just a little fear but you know what you will be brave enough to show up. We all make mistakes, prolong, procrastinate but it will be ok. Before going to bed thank your Higher Power for today and ask for strength and compassion! We all feel lazy at times just don't beat yourself up too much, you are going to a new job, today people who are working can be very thankful in this economy! God Bless you and keep those spirits up!!!
Old 05-20-2012, 09:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think a little bit of apathy, even depression is normal SD.

Accomplishing little stuff, even if it needs to be in bursts of activity...like emptying the litter box and finding clothes for tomorrow, making something to eat...can be therapeutic

D
Old 05-20-2012, 09:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are not a lazy blob, cut yourself some slack. You have one primary goal and that is to stay sober one day at a time, one breath if need be.
Remember, you are a gift. It gets better
Old 05-20-2012, 09:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Call the local AA office for directions to the next meeting. Sometimes we rent from businesses and the doors are a bit "anonymous" themselves!

Help the kitty and yourself, you can do this!
Old 05-20-2012, 09:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnowDaisy View Post
Is this normal soon after quitting?? how long should it last??
That's been my experience, too. As mentioned above, it passed after day 4 or 5.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Yes, feeling 'lazy' is normal after quitting. Try to eat some fruits and veggies and get some rest. If you stay off the booze, you will free great by the end of the week. Trust me!
Old 05-20-2012, 10:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes it is normal. I felt lazy my last attempt at sobriety, my first 2 times I was extremely anxious, couldn't sleep or rest. Should pass (as others have said) in 4-5 days. Possibly sooner or a little later depending on your situation. One thing that helped me was setting a daily "list" of things I need to get done. Even if they are small things, just crossing 10 things off that list was an amazing feeling for me. Off the top of my head a few things were ( cook dinner, take out the trash, take the dogs for a walk, wash dishes, wash clothes) etc....you get the idea. Hope this helps, keep it up, it really does get better after the first few rough days!
Old 05-20-2012, 11:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For me, thee first few months were pretty like your first lazy night. I couldn't move, actually. For three nights I was in restraints in a hospital bed! But the lethargy was profound for weeks after that.

I still get bouts of it 20 months later. First night feeling tired, listless, muddy thinking? Sounds like amazing recovery stuff to me.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recovering

I had lethargy which gradually improved, especially over the first couple of weeks. I found starting doing anything really difficult. This last weekend (30 days after stopping drinking) was the first time I felt really full of energy and was itching to get down to the gym.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Snowdaisy.
I think the effects of getting sober probably differ with different people.
However, I can completely relate to what you're saying in regards to feeling unable to get out and do things.
Since quitting a month and a half ago (and unfortunately having a slip up last night) doing day to day things like getting out of bed and getting dressed etc. feel so hard.
I believe a lot of it is to do with our bodies trying to re adjust to life sober... don't forget, we have to get all the toxins and crap out of our systems too.
I found focusing my attention on lots of excercise to be a great way to motivate myself and also keep my attention of the booze from the natural high you get from the workouts.

Take care of yourself!