Notices

When is it safe to leave the house alone?

Old 05-17-2012, 06:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When is it safe to leave the house alone?

I'm on Day 5. I feel OK for the most part. But there is something I have been wondering about. I'm not working, so I have been able to stay in my house all day and try to keep busy as much as possible.

I know many of you have jobs right now, and you really have or had no choice and had to leave for work and different reasons.

Well, physically when do you know it's OK, and I really would like to go to the grocery store to get some things we need here.

While I feel OK enough that I do not grab my keys and buy any beer. Will the grocery store be too tempting at this stage?

Any ideas? I really would like to get out of the house also. But I will also be passing gas stations on the way, etc... etc...

Just wondering if I should wait a little longer...

-RDY
Old 05-17-2012, 06:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was going to meetings right out of detox..I detoxed 5 days.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's probably different for everyone, but I found getting out of the house and doing something actually helped me... staying in would lead to boredom and the thought of drinking.

But like I said, it may be different for others.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Agree with everyone else.

In the past I had to avoid going out for a few days...
But now I am fine on day 2...you might want to give it a shot...or maybe even take someone with you that knows what you are going through.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

For me the thing was I was pretty sick from my withdrawal and the idea of beer repulsed me but still, it was empowering to flip the bird to the beer store while driving by on my way to an AA meeting.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi rdy

I found it really useful to remember I had a certain degree of power.

I may go out and find I want to stop by the liquor store, I may have to go to the grocery store or the gas station and I may see booze there...but I don't have to pick it up.

I'm a big believer in not looking for trouble in early recovery - I stayed away from social occasions where drinking was the focus for a long time...but I didn't sequester myself in my house.

I got sober to live, I was done with hiding.

It might be uncomfortable and maybe even sad, or scary, but it's something you can get through.

Ultimately of course, tho - it's your call when this happens.

If you don't think you're ready for that, and you want to wait a few more days? then ok - just don't sell yourself short
Old 05-18-2012, 04:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, I wanted to let everyone here that responded that I left yesterday and bought a new coffee maker and went to the grocery store. I passed the booze aisle with no problems! It was so nice to get out. I just can't afford to replace my addiction with a shopping addiction!

I won't, but it's great to go to the grocery store and not have to haul beer around. Feels darn good!!!! Like a weight has been lifted from me.

I know it's early in my sobriety, so I'm still being careful. I just feel so good, other than feeling hung over for the last 2 mornings. I am not sure why.
Also, my stomach is bloated during the day. I think I was drinking to many soft drinks. Coffee this morning, and water the rest of the day.

I wish this bloat would go away. My body was used to beer, not diet coke!

Thanks everyone! I love this place!

Eternally grateful for all of you,
-RDY
Old 05-18-2012, 05:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

gas? it will go away. I drink seltzer with a shot of fruit juice and lemon these days. low calorie and it can be a variable as you like.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I think it varies for everyone.

There was beer and wine in my home from the moment I quit drinking, because I lived with some one who drank but was not alcoholic. This did not present a huge issue for me. On the other hand I know some folks would have had a lot of trouble with that. I think the best gauge is your own "gut". Can you do it or can't you? If you can't, then don't do it even though you think you "should" be able to.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you!

Your confidence in yourself is increasing and will continue to increase in your recovery.