Notices

Alcoholic neuropathy

Old 05-16-2012, 05:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic neuropathy

Can anyone tell me what they've experienced with alcoholic neuropathy? I realize medical advice is not allowed in the blog, but I'd like to know what the symptoms are for those that have this. I've been a heavy drinker for over 10+ years. I've recently experienced sharp stabbing pains in my hands, feet, arms, legs, shoulders, thighs, headaches, and lighnting pains up the back of my head within the last 3 months. Muscle spasms in one arm and hand as well. The doc has ordered tests for MS, Lyme, West Nile, and Lupus along with vitamin deficiency tests. Is neuropathy more like a numb hands and feet thing? My old man is an alcoholic and has the numb feet thing. I guess my biggest question is, for those that have it, have you all experienced those kind of symptoms?
Old 05-16-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

remington, the last several months of my drinking I had a lot of numbness/tingling from the waist down. Unable to feel my feet while walking at times. Uncoordination (& I don't think from just being loaded) It went away shortly after I got sober. Hopefully your tests will reveal something to ease your mind very soon.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks ms. I'm just trying to get a feel what folks with neuropathy have felt. My symptoms were nearly immediate. My dad has complained of "can't feel my feet" for at least 5 years and I'm pretty sure he's on that road. Mine is a little different though, just checking if other folks with alcoholic neuropathy have had the all over sharp stabbing pain symptoms I've had.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're talking to your dr about this problem.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR remington

D
Old 05-16-2012, 05:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yea, 12 viles of blood drawn today. The other great thing is I'm currently on active duty who's been pumped full of every shot known to man (anthrax x10, smallpox, etc) for 20 plus years, bathing in hydraulic fluid, cooling fluid, sucking in Iraq burn pits, sands, etc. Of course it could be me drinking beer that caused it but who knows.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Zee

I have neuropathy in my feet. It is a numb/sensitive/tingling sensation. Very hard to explain, and not particularly nice. Sometimes I get the odd shooting pain in my foot but it doesn't last long. When I walk, it feels like I'm walking on pebbles.

If anyone merely brushes past my feet, it drives me completely nuts!

It has seemed to get slightly better over the past few months although I have been told that is doesn't as it's permanent nerve damage. Maybe I'm just getting used to it and it is my 'new normal'

Just another illness I have drinking to thank
Old 05-16-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Zee. I guess that's what I'm trying to figure out. When I read about alcoholic neuropathy the way I understood it, it was more like a numbness, pins/needles, feeling. Whatever I have is not numbness, limb falling asleep kind of feeling. Its more like a severe stab, in every part of my body. I've had blood tests done for liver, kidneys, GS scope, etc. Now the **** is getting more serious. Doc has got me scheduled for a brain MRI etc. Just wondering if anyone out there experienced sharp stabbing pains over their entire body related to alcoholic neuropathy.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

/
Old 05-16-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Zee

Well, I'm definately no doctor! I could only tell you my symptoms. I haven't had any stabbing pains anywhere else though. All you can do is wait for the tests I suppose. Im really sorry you have these pains... I hope you let us know how it went (I had an endoscapy last week, that is one test I do not want to repeat in a hurry! )
Old 05-16-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'll update just becuase. The vet mark if you seen it was for the moderator The truth is, as long as i can function I don't really care. I've got a 9 year old and a 5 year old who need their daddy for about 15 more years. Hopefully whatever it is its managable. Thank for the support ZEE!!
Old 05-17-2012, 03:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It could be a number of things. I hope you are honest with your doctor about your drinking so that he can properly diagnose you. Dr internet is a bad place to go for a diagnosis.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I stopped googling anything medical when I realized I was a retarted doctor. Sounds like your on the right path with your doc. I got real honest with mine.
Welcome to sr.
Good luck with your tests, waiting is not fun
Old 05-17-2012, 07:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was honest with my doctor....once. Know what it got me? It got me 5 weeks in a rehab program. It also got me a letter to present to my boss every two years stating I'm alcohol dependent and if I ever touch another drop I'm medically disqualified. How would you like to greet your new boss with that. "hi sir, I've got this letter you need to sign. It says I'm an alcoholic. Just sign right here you know I'm a leper". 7 commanders later....if I sound bitter its because I am. I've been terrified to go to the doctor for anything the last 13 years for fear of it being connected somehow to alcohol and getting the boot. I'm finally over the 20 year mark so if I get any grief I'll retire. Yea, the doc isn't getting any honesty from me in that regard.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes, many many years ago I was trying to give up alcohol "gradually" (that's a laugh!) by drinking only wine (been there, done that lots of times!). And along with that I had placed myself on a strict diet trying to lose weight (maybe rationalizing that I might at least get some "credit" if I lost weight even if I didn't stop drinking. Wow! this goes on and on!) Anyway I started getting severe cramps in my legs and tried to deal with that by soaking in a hot tub. But the cramps got worse and worse. Finally, a doctor, who happened to be a recovering alcoholic, diagnosed this as alcoholic neuritis and treated this by massive injections of vitamin B. And during a detox, injections of vitamin B are commonly given, along with massive fluids to counteract dehydration. I am uncertain whether the vitamin B deficiency results from the fact that alcoholics often don't eat properly or whether it is a result of the alcohol itself, or possibly both.
Best thing to do is see a doctor and be honest about how much and often one drinks. Is the condition reversible? It was in my case. Ask the doctor.

W.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have alcoholic neuropathy remington...it seems a bit of a vague diagnosis in my case though...just nerve conduction tests. It sounds like you have a really good doctor so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I have had the stabbing pain thing a lot, but whether it is related or not I'm not sure. It has tended to come and go though so the stabbing pain may have been caused by anxiety. It's amazing what physical symptoms anxiety can cause. Things for me improved dramatically when I stopped drinking. Hope you get the help you need x
Old 07-18-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes, Remington. I have that too.. Shooting pains all over.. For me it started on my feet and hands, then progressed to my eyeball... like electric pains.. or stabbing pains... funny thing it is also accompanied by chills and nausea.. like I would gag without throwing up... It was very scary for me because I am an intense hypochondriac. So after tons of googling I realized there was a link between my drinking and my symptoms... I had drank pretty much every day for about two years.. My cousin, who is a doctor, told me that it was probably alcoholic neuropathy. My symptoms started in October 2012, and I finally made a change in march 2013. I had b12 shots and take vitamins every day. I only drink once or twice a week now, and maybe only a couple of drinks. the thing is that it hasn't gone away completely, I am thinking I may need to stop drinking all together...
Old 07-18-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

yeah I think you will have to too - alcoholic neuropathy is not helped by alcohol.

D
Old 07-18-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I would have my doc test for alcoholism