Notices

Outpatient treatment starting....

Old 05-16-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Outpatient treatment starting....

I'm officially starting outpatient treatment tomorrow.....and I'm really excited about it. I'm going on being 8 days sober and I am so focused on staying sober......still a bit afraid of having a relapse at some point...really don't want to have to start over again.......which is why I'm so happy to be starting a treatment program......

Any advice for starting treatment? This is my first time (and hopefully the only time) I'll be starting a treatment program. I guess if I'm being honest with the excitement is a bit of fear and anxiety, especially with having to really look at my drinking......but I'm not drinking anymore so why does that matter?

Ahhhh.......being sober. Feels like I'm starting a new life.............

ETA - Watching "Intervention" as I do a lot lately, saw someone really hit a bottom, go to treatment, get extremely healthy and happy......only to relapse and refuse to ever go to treatment again.......THAT is what I am afraid of. I didn't really hit a bottom but saw one coming....I don't want to see it. I still have my job, have no health problems, didn't even need to go to detox...........ahhhh, my brain is going crazy.......

Going to my friends house tonight and love her as she would literally punch me if I tried to have another drink....she, even though she's not at all an alcoholic, has given up drinking too just to support me.......it's so helpful having her....as she gives me such safe/amazing support....

I'm rambling.....I thought I only did that when drunk....I guess not! :-).....

So, advice?

Thanks! I TRULY love this website......

Donnylutz
Old 05-16-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I didn't do any kind of treatment so I have no specific advice. I just want to wish you well in your program.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Gone In

I did an ERG outpatient program for 9 months, was one of the best decisions I ever made. Saved my life. My advice? Be open and honest. Do the work, you get out what you put in. Be willing to try things you don't want to do, or that you think won't work. Find what works for you and go with it. Good luck!
Old 05-16-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Donny

With BASEjumper on the being honest , open and working at what they put in front of you even if it seems trivial or disconnected. I did two programs and some of the information has never left me even if I still struggle today. I need to continue the work myself and with current supports. Programs are a start and not an end as , well , for me , this is a life long condition. I accept that now but sure didn't when I did my first program and before I met folks in AA. Its a program , not a miracle , but it should help you know what to expect along the sober road ahead. Sober isn't perfect but it sure beats the alternative.

Wish you well !
Old 05-16-2012, 05:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My advice is simple...Pay attention...Ask questions...Learn all you can...Because it's what you do after treatment that will keep you sober or not. For me treatment was Discovery...AA was Recovery.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Outpatient treatment as well as the inpatient treatment I have received, was and still is the one of the most empowering experience I have ever had.

I never had any success with faith based 12 step programs. However when the treatments were provided in a secular way at rehab, I finally had something useful to practice as a recovery plan.

I suggest paying close attention to what is being offered because one day it may save your life...as it did for me.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

I went through outpatient treatment twice (immediately following an inpatient detox and rehab) and the best piece of advice I can give you is to emphatically echo others: be open, be honest. Get it out. Pay attention. Learn everything you can. You are blessed to be able to have this experience because it damn well could put you on the road to saving your life and there are people out there who are literally dying because they aren't in that seat. That's how it was put into perspective for me, and that's how I'll put it for you. Make the most of it.

--Fenris.