Notices

Do I belong in AA?

Old 05-14-2012, 06:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do I belong in AA?

This is my first time on this site and I'm very new to this entire AA thing. And to be honest I have no idea if I am one who needs to go to AA/NA meetings or not. I'm a 20 year old full time college student. I come from a very strict, chaotic, very abusive, and crazy household. I've been diagnosed with depression at 12 and have been on and off of antidepressants for what seems like forever now. I've been to treatment twice already for my eating disorder. I've been using drugs for about 3 years now. I use to just smoke weed at the beginning. Then I started using ecstasy at party's and music festivals. And now I've done meth, cocaine, acid, pcp, molly, and oxycontin. At first I used drugs for fun and to be more social and just have a good time while around others but now I use it to just take the pain away. I use to block my depression, to not feel the guilt, the shame, and the feelings of worthlessness. My life right now is controlled by my eating disorder, my drug use, and my constant battle with cutting. And I just don't know where in society I belong anymore or what I need to do next in order to be happy and just be myself again. I've been told by my psychologist that I should really consider going to AA meetings because she feels I have a very addictive personality and she thinks I can benefit from going to AA/NA meetings. And to be honest I just don't know like do I really need to go to a meeting or not? And if so what is the purpose of these meetings and what can I gain from going to a meeting? Does it really help and do you I even belong there?
Old 05-14-2012, 06:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I know you will find support here.

I am a recovering alcoholic but I don't belong to AA. There are others here who do and who can tell you about meetings. But, please know that there is always someone online here to listen.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Khloe

I encourage everyone to look at all their options

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players, including AA:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you feel you might benefit from a non 12 step approach.

good to have you with us
D
Old 05-14-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Official Website of The Southern California Region of Narcotics Anonymous

www.glaana.org/

www.NA.org - the website for the Fellowship of Narcotics Anonymous

Greater East Los Angeles Area of Narcotics Anonymous

Do some reading. Search AA and look for the URL that contains aa.org in it.

There are many programs available for recovery. Listening to what you said, when you are at the end of your rope and want to change your outlook on everything, AA or NA may benefit you, but only when you are willing to have an open mind.

I wish you well,
Old 05-14-2012, 07:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Khloe, google and read "AA How It Works" and "AA the doctor's opinion". See if you identify with it.

I found sobriety, sanity and serenity in the fellowship of AA.

All the best to you.

Bob R
Old 05-14-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Khloe -

I think it's great that you're reaching out today. I self-medicated, too, but found that my addiction to alcohol got worse over time... what worked in the beginning to ease some of my anxiety and depression led to more anxiety and depression. It's a vicious cycle. By the end of my drinking, I had no positive feeling towards myself at all and any kind of emotion made me want to drink.

It's good that you have a psychologist - can you talk to a doctor (or psychiatrist) on campus also (since they deal more with the drug aspect of things)? I think any kind of support group is worth checking out - I don't think I could have gotten/stayed sober without this place......:ghug3
Old 05-14-2012, 09:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Hey Khloe --

Welcome to SR! There's a lot of people your age in very similar situations in AA/NA if you go to the right meetings. Give it a shot and see if it works for you. You don't have to commit to anything, just go check out a meeting and see if it resonates with you.

There are a lot of other recovery options to check out too. Take a look at the link that Dee posted and browse around. People like us need to do whatever we can to get clean and get support. Don't be afraid to try out different things and see what works for you and where you feel like you fit in the best.

Take care,
Old 05-15-2012, 01:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Since you didn't mention anything about alcohol maybe you should try Narcotics Anonymous for help if you have a drug addiction.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Khloe View Post
...do I really need to go to a meeting or not?
Hi Khloe,
It's pretty simple, really. Do you have a drinking problem? Do you want a solution for that problem? What AA offers is a clear and specific course of action for overcoming alcoholism that's been successful for a couple million people who found it impossible to quit drinking.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've heard that if you think you need to recover (from ____), then you probably need to recover (from ____). Fill in the blank with your drug of choice here. Meetings (of many sorts including 12-step) can help you.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Welcome to SR Khloe. It wouldn't hurt to try an AA/NA meeting and see how it goes -- it's an hour of your day and the coffee's free. It's been my experience that many (most?) alcoholics/addicts also battle some degree of mental illness -- depression, anxiety issues, etc. -- or have been through some level of trauma in their lives. The thing about the Twelve Steps is that working them not only helps keep me sober and clean, but I've also worked out a lot of the issues that I've carried around with me my whole life, I have friends that I know I can count on (and as importantly, I know they can count on me), and I've learned (am learning) to deal with life on life's terms, instead of trying to shape the world to fit my wishes.

--Fenris.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
So it goes

Does no harm Khloe

I havent used AA in my recovery, but I did attend meetings in the early days, and I realised I was not alone

Being sober is better than being drunk, nearly 4 months now, and never felt better