Notices

Ups and downs.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ups and downs.

During last week I had a few days feeling blue/down that in the past I would have reacted with a drink that would have been greater than my normal ,this would have lasted a few days , including the struggles that it brings , not sleeping ,easier to argue ,struggle with concentration and all the rest before winding it in a bit or really loosing reality.
Last week I just spoke to my wife and said how I felt and mentioned my feeling of wanting to drink within the hour the want to drink had been replaced with satisfaction that I hadn't , the blue feelings remained but got no more and have now left.

Not sure why I wanted to write this but there it is.

Good luck to everyone in early days it is so worth it.
I wonder how long it is until you realise that you are no longer a beginner at sobriety . I think I need to think it to for as long as I drank so only another 30 odd years to go !
John.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

Spinach

My emotions had periods that swung significantly in the first six months. I am still learning how to live with my 'bad' periods, and they do happen. They are not the end of the world however and they do pass. I am learning not to drown them or be overly reactive when they occur.

The daily practice of gratitude has really helped me (see the gratitude threads in the main menu)
Old 05-14-2012, 04:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've noticed this too John. It's amazing that I didn't realise sooner that drinking actually does make everything worse. But then I guess it takes stopping drinking to notice that! x
Old 05-14-2012, 04:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
So it goes

Yes John, you are able to cope with things better. Life still sucks, but it sucks better sober

I do now wonder why I ever drank, and other little things are happening, like I dont wander down the wine aisle in the supermarket any more window shopping

Basically because I dont like the idea of drink these days, it is starting to give me a slight distaste.

I went to a friend's house last night, and they had a half drunk glass of beer with them, I just had a mild revulsion , so that is good

BP