Notices

Thought I could handle it....

Old 05-11-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
part time member

Angry Thought I could handle it....

My sober date was October 4 2009 but I went on vacation and drank in February. Went home and had nothing. I am now back on vacation and have spent the last 2 weeks drunk...I am so ashamed of myself. I really thought that I could do this. My daughter is coming and I don't want to disappoint her...my drinking was a major problem with us...I need some encouragement and perhaps some yelling at...
Old 05-11-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I`m sorry you`re struggling.

Maybe you could try different kinds of vacations, if what you`re doing now is triggering for you. How about a hiking vacation for example.

Believe that you can get through this.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome back home!

How long were you sober? What worked? Other than vacation, what did you do that made "what once worked" not work anymore?

You can stay stopped again! Try an AA meeting, those steps changed my life!

Hugs,
Old 05-11-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
part time member

I'm still on vacation..one more week.........daughter and her boyfriend coming tonight.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sometimes you have to make hard choices.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Don't know where you are on your vacation, but I have yet to go anywhere that I couldn't find a meeting.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I won't yell at you....(big whiney hugs, i do understand)

but I will tell you that I used to think yea! a reward, vacation, just a few and i'll stop again, i'm in control....i was feeding myself a line of crap.

Pick yourself up and remember how important it is to be with your family and the drinking is OVER, just over. you don't need it, and i really don't think you want it. i'm saying this for me as well as you.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope your visit with daughter goes well. I hope you can get back on the sober train soon. I know you've got it in you. :ghug3
Old 05-11-2012, 11:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Are you still drinking? If so you know what you have to do. You are not the first to relapse nor will you be to lapse. Time to buck up, pull on your Big Girl Panties, ditch the pity party and start all over again with Step 1. You've done it before, you can do it again. At least you know you can only move forward.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Try separating yourself you don't need alcohol to have a good time. I struggled with my mother being an alcoholic for years. We seperated when I was younger then proceeded to get close when I was about 17. Now being 21 we are closer than ever I did give my mom hell & wanted her to realize how much I did love her being 1 of 6 children. Your child only has faults in alcohol because she loves you, just as I love my mother. Try reading a book the way I helped my mom was with love & support that's what you truly need is to know you are so much better than alcohol.

I am here my friend, you are stronger than you think you are!
Old 05-11-2012, 11:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome back, LTT!

Remember that your daughter will always love you, no matter what...... Our loved ones get angry with us because they care.

If you're in a bad way, you might just need to tell her what's going on so that you can focus on detoxing, seeing a doctor, or whatever. You'll feel so much better dealing with this and getting it behind you.

And we're here for support - don't forget that!:ghug3
Old 05-11-2012, 04:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're struggling LTT but I know you can get back on the right road - you've done it before

D
Old 05-11-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hey LTT - I don't do yelling, but want to tell you I understand & feel for you. I did that many times myself, until I finally decided it just wasn't worth it anymore. Drinking with a guilty feeling in the back of my mind really didn't work. No euphoria, no high & happy feeling, no fun. Maybe it's really over for you this time.

Hoping all goes well and that you're back on track soon. You know we love you & are here for you....always.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey LovesToTravel...How did you stay sober for that time you had?
Old 05-11-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

On kind of a different note, for many people vacations are few & far between. I'm 44 & have had two week long vacations in my life. My last 8 day trip to Cozumel in March of 2011 was a drunken blur. Here I was in the most beautiful place on the planet & all I did was get sh*t-house drunk every day. So mad at myself and will not be making that mistake again.

Be sober. Enjoy your change of pace. It sounds like you've got it in you to achieve sobriety~for the long haul. For me, being a drunk is a waste of the gift called life.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

(((LTT))) - I think a lot of us thought we could handle it, only to find that we couldn't. I think my bottom came when no matter how much I used, I couldn't drown out the bit of recovery I'd had and the guilt.

I hope you have had enough and are ready to jump back onto recovery road.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-22-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
part time member

Thanks all...I am home again...Thank goodness. It was a stupid thing to drink while on vacation but I did learn that it took lots of alcohol to even phase me and then I would fall asleep and wake up the next morning feeling like crap! I'm done with all that...after 3 days I am beginning to feel better and today is Mr LTT's and my 30th wedding anniversary..I will celebrate with chocolate!

Old 05-22-2012, 08:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I am not a very good yeller but I can try STTTOOOPPP

I am sorry for your struggle its hard. But you know how to do so like sugar said. Go back to what was working.

Good love, Inda
Old 05-22-2012, 09:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wow, 2009 -- That's a long time to only slip twice. I don't know why as humans we get so fixated on the negative voices "can't believe I did that..." "how could I have drank again..." Instead of the positive "I DIDN'T drink for a LONG time..." The negative ones are the ones that make us stuck and help us justify waking up and doing it again.

I hope the rest of your vacation turned out great and am happy to see your listening to that positive voice again. I hope to be able to abstain as long as you have.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congratulations on your anniversary, LTT!

Glad you're back on track, too!