Notices

Thank You. Please Read!

Old 05-10-2012, 11:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thank You. Please Read!

I just wanted everyone to know that I believe the people on this forum have saved my life.

My boyfriend had went out of town and I know I've had a problem (for a long time) but didn't want to accept it. Drinking is everywhere, you know?

Well, I found this forum and lurked around reading for quite some time. I was alone here in my home. The more I read, the more I related to so many.

Had it not been for me finding this forum and all of you, I do not even think I would have considered stopping. This forum opened my eyes.

A lot of people on here have the same issues with addiction. I have read many of you don't like AA, but if we have community and support from others - it makes it a LOT easier. So, it doesn't HAVE to be AA meetings. If that helps fine. But I sure would hate to go to one drunk. I did that here. I found my answer, and that is life how I remember it before this addiction took ahold of me. If there is anyone else out there lurking, please keep reading through the posts, it may change your lives too.

I want to thank each and every one of you for everything and I plan to be a long time member.

This is an amazing place to be.

My love to each and every one of you, it doesn't matter what the addiction. They are ALL addictions. We all relate.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

rdytoquit,
That is lovely. Thanks.
:ghug3
Old 05-10-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rdytoquit View Post
So, it doesn't HAVE to be AA meetings.
While I love AA meetings...And the people in them. It's the 12 steps that saved my life. Thanks for the post!...I hope you do well.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

(((rdytoquit)))
Old 05-10-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Happy to have you here. Stick around. :ghug3
Old 05-10-2012, 02:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you found us rdytoquit

D
Old 05-10-2012, 04:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

I'm happy you didn't get too upset and leave! We've all been where you are now. It gets different and it gets better!

Stick around, we need you here!

Hugs & love,
Old 05-10-2012, 06:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
I'm happy you didn't get too upset and leave! We've all been where you are now. It gets different and it gets better!

Stick around, we need you here!

Hugs & love,
I dont get upset. I WILL kick Alcohol in it's ass though!
Old 05-10-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

I'm glad for you, rdy. This is an amazing place, full of amazing people!
Old 05-10-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

So glad you're here, rdy - you're part of the family now!:ghug3
Old 05-10-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I love your post. Please keep the desire.....it is SO worth it! Take care.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This site has done wonders for me as well! Thank you everybody! I'm on day 11 and feeling great! Actually, I had a very stressful day today and then came home tonight and just about everything that used to trigger my drinking hit me - and hit me hard!. I wanted to say to myself "screw it!" and go have a beer or 6 or 8. Instead, I sat down, turned on my lap top and started reading in here. I feel much better now. I'm loving the support and camaraderie that I feel here. Thanks!
Old 05-10-2012, 11:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rdytoquit View Post
I dont get upset. I WILL kick Alcohol in it's ass though!
Speaking strictly for myself, this attitude that I am gonna BEAT alcohol was very dangerous. I relapsed several times. The truth is, alcohol beat me. I could no more beat alcohol than I could beat Kobe Bryant in basketball or outrun Usain Bolt. I was a defeated man, I had to surrender. I had to accept this defeat by alcohol to effectively work the steps. This what some call one of AA's paradoxes - we must surrender to win. My sponsor helped immensely with this.

I don't know if you are going to use AA or not, but if you do please keep this in mind.

Keep us posted.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Don't ever give up...you deserve a life of recovery. Glad to see you posting at SR...maybe get some other recovery tools too...such as AA, AVRT, and a therapist.

May you have peace in your journey.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
Speaking strictly for myself, this attitude that I am gonna BEAT alcohol was very dangerous. I relapsed several times. The truth is, alcohol beat me. I could no more beat alcohol than I could beat Kobe Bryant in basketball or outrun Usain Bolt. I was a defeated man, I had to surrender. I had to accept this defeat by alcohol to effectively work the steps. This what some call one of AA's paradoxes - we must surrender to win. My sponsor helped immensely with this.

I don't know if you are going to use AA or not, but if you do please keep this in mind.

Keep us posted.
I think what you posted here was true. However, that I want to beat it? Yes. However, I do feel defeated by alcohol. If I didn't, I wouldn't care to kick the habit in the first place. So right now this has been a very important thing. It went from "I'm fine, I don't have a problem" to "I have a problem and I am accepting it and it's a part of who I am" Then I came here and started to really freak out. Once I openly admitted to the problem, that was easy (on here) but before I always felt like this would be so tough. Why can't I be like I used to be and just enjoy a couple of drinks every few months or maybe not even that... just the holidays. Why did this happen? Can I ever be the old me? Is that life over? In the future, everyone that knows I have this problem will eyeball me even if I were to have 1 drink. That is the bed I made for myself. Now I must lie in it. While I wouldn't go to AA right now or after this detox period, I may consider it after. I will also come on here. I have no idea how I am going to feel after I get through the detox. Hell, I may come on here and say "HELP!!! I WANT A DRINK" I just don't know how it's going to be for me yet.