Notices

My niece cuts

Old 05-08-2012, 05:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
~sb

Unhappy My niece cuts

My ('half')sister called me this morning. Her daughter who is about 14 was cutting. She became suicidal and is currently in the children's psych hospital near here. If anyone knows about cutting, feel free to private message me or to post on here.

Of all my nieces, I want to say it is astonishing that this one would have problems, but, nah, anyone in my family could have a problem. My sister says they have a good relationship.... I'm trying to understand this. It may just be a chemical imbalance....

My family is quite disjointed, so for my sister to let me know, I guess she feels safe as I don't speak with the others. She isn't letting them know the extent of her daughter's problems.

Again, if anyone can help me understand cutting, let me know! I appreciate the help.

Peace,
Old 05-08-2012, 05:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cutting: A Painful Addiction | The Fix

Ah Sugar Bear. My heart and prayers go out to you and your family.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I've posted some about it on the last couple pages of the "I cut" thread in the mental health forum here. It is my understanding, and my personal experience with cutting.

Hope it helps bring you some clarity, but of course, your niece's feelings and motivations might differ.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I`m sorry you and your family are going through this, SB.
`
I have no personal experience with cutting but I do know it`s another way to numb one`s emotions and retreat from life. I`m glad your neice is getting professional help.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know anything about that....Never even heard of it till I came here. But I know what praying can do. My prayers are with you and your family sugarbear.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
My ('half')sister called me this morning. Her daughter who is about 14 was cutting. She became suicidal and is currently in the children's psych hospital near here. If anyone knows about cutting, feel free to private message me or to post on here.

Of all my nieces, I want to say it is astonishing that this one would have problems, but, nah, anyone in my family could have a problem. My sister says they have a good relationship.... I'm trying to understand this. It may just be a chemical imbalance....

My family is quite disjointed, so for my sister to let me know, I guess she feels safe as I don't speak with the others. She isn't letting them know the extent of her daughter's problems.

Again, if anyone can help me understand cutting, let me know! I appreciate the help.

Peace,

Usually its the kids that nobody excpects to have problems. On the outside they seem well adjusted and fairly happy, but on the inside they are usually hurting.

I will keep her in my prayers.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post

Peace,
I don't have any experience or knowledge on this but I am sorry you and your family are going through this. Nice that your sisters trusts you enough to confide in you like that. You will be in my thoughts. Hugs
Old 05-08-2012, 11:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sorry, SB, can't offer you help on this, but can offer hope.

All My Best...
Old 05-08-2012, 11:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I used to self harm Sugarbear, from aged 12 to 17. It was a coping mechanism very much like drinking was. I think a lot of people react badly to it because they can't possibly understand why someone would do that to themselves and it often looks much worse than it actually is. In my experience and a few others I know, the intention wasn't to cause damage as such but just as a release. Any really bad cuts were usually accidental, easily done. However this may not be the case for your niece. All you can do is offer support without judgement, and of course professional help. My thoughts are with you xxx Oh, and tell her that at some point in the future she's gonna wish those scars weren't there (I always used to like mine, it was part of it) just like many of us wish we didn't have the damage that alcohol caused. Xxx
Old 05-08-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

prayers for your niece for you and your family SB.
I hope she'll come through this troubled period.

D
Old 05-08-2012, 05:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have LOTS of experience with this! Pm me
Old 05-08-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

At this point, I've researched a lot of information and emailed some of it to my sister. My niece is in a psych hospital for her suicide attempt and is supposedly deeply depressed. I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but that is how they are viewing it.

My sister believes they have a great relationship. I'm not so certain. I also don't know what could have happened in that home, other than the divorce.

My niece has always been a sensitive soul. My sister, well, I'm not sure we can really see our own behavior and the impact it has on others. I don't know her well. She has this "chirpy/happy/nothing is wrong attitude" and voice, but it annoys the cr*p out of me.... (people aren't that happy all of the time!)

I'm leaning towards the fact that my niece is an alcoholic who hasn't had a drink yet. I lean towards genetics......

Whatever it is, my HP has seen to it that I begin to establish a relationship with my sister, and that's cool. I am mostly estranged from the family since I lost my career. The support I receive are the words (only) from my parents "We support you."
It's not about me today.

My sister needs the prayers. I believe my niece will be okay.

I thank you all for the support and when I can, I will pm those with experience.

Peace & love,
Old 05-08-2012, 07:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Prayers sent...
Old 05-08-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Will be praying, SB. I believe that your HP has a plan in all this.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Cutting

Unfortunatly I know all about cutting. I am a survivor of molestation and I was so full of shame and blame that I just wanted to release those emotions and make myself feel something. I am glad that your niece is getting professional help and I am happy that your sister found out and is able to help her get help..
No one cuts if they are happy...they are trying to deal with a issue, but not in the right way...I wil send up some prayer for your niece.. It took me a long time to deal with my issues and I am still trying...
Old 05-08-2012, 09:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am holding you up tonight in my thoughts. Please know that lots of us are sending positive energy your way.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

my daughter cuts. as far as I know it's not really linked with suicide attempt, if it's a chronic issue. my daughter used it as a release, she wouldn't scream and shout and throw stuff about when she was distressed instead she would turn it in on herself and cut.
she generally felt worthless at that time (of cutting).
she hasn't actually done it in quite a while, she's at a happy fulfilled stage of her life, so I believe this is a reason that she doesn't feel the need to cut.
many people use self abuse such as cutting, starving oneself, drinking too much, bulimia as a way to cope.
I would never chastise her to her action, I think that's important.
best wishes to you and your family.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

All the best . My thoughts go to you all.
Looks like your sister passed you an olive branch. She's certainly showing how much she needs you right now.
Good luck with the voice though !!
John.