Notices

Lying on here

Old 05-06-2012, 03:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lying on here

Im curious as most of us on here have a background of denial, deceit and lying..

Have you carried it over to these forums... Have you ever said you were sober x amount of days when infact you had relapsed?
Old 05-06-2012, 04:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me...No. AA is a program based on complete honesty. It doesn't work without it. My background of denial, deceit and lying is what kept me drinking. Who would I be lying to?....Me.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
LDT

No here as well.....what would be the point? I'm not here to impress anyone..... was just looking for other sober friends when I came here. If anyone on SR is lying, they're only hurting themselves.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You know Beerbottles....I'm not trying to push AA on youi....It just happened to be what worked for me. And I was hopeless. However you do it....I'd just like to see you do it. Because it can ruin your life or kill you. I got close. This is what they say about honesty in a chapter called "How It Works".

Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves. There are such unfortunates. They are not at fault; they seem to have been born that way. They are naturally incapable of grasping and developing a manner of living which demands rigorous honesty. Their chances are less than average. There are those, too, who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders, but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

It plays a big part. Whether you do this on your own....Or try something else...Take at look at this book. It saved my life. You might see yourself in there somewhere.

Read The Doctors Opinion and the first 103 pages....That will cover the 12 steps. It may not be for you...But it can't hurt you.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No, I never lie in this forum. Part of the reason I am here is to be accountable to myself. Lying would defeat that purpose. I have had two relapses (albeit short ones), and immediately came here.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No, no, and no!

Lie everywhere else if you need to, but not here. For an alcoholic to remain sober, the bullish!t must stop somewhere.

I am not suggesting that you are lying, just that alcoholics, in general, don't have a great track record of honesty regarding their drinking.

Pam
Old 05-06-2012, 04:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I have nothing to lie about here
Old 05-06-2012, 04:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, I've only joined a few hours ago so was more curious than anything...
Old 05-06-2012, 05:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

And thankyou sapling
Old 05-06-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you joined us, Beerbottles and I hope you find, like most of us have, that honesty is the only thing that works in recovery.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

I have no reason to present false information on here. I was here years before I even posted anything.

I have run into sites that are anti-AA. At one of them, people had come in here posing as someone who was interested in recovery, but were only here to take our names and words out of context to use them to rationalize their anti-AA stance.

Welcome to SR!
Old 05-06-2012, 06:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good question - I like it

No way. Some days (this morning in fact...) the thought of logging on and admitting I'd caved is the only thing that stops me from drinking. I know everyone would be completely supportive, but it's a pride thing. This is probably the ONLY place I can tell the brutal truth and I need it. Which is one of the reasons I guess so many of us stay anonymous.

Still
xx
Old 05-06-2012, 06:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stillsleeping View Post
Good question - I like it

No way. Some days (this morning in fact...) the thought of logging on and admitting I'd caved is the only thing that stops me from drinking. I know everyone would be completely supportive, but it's a pride thing. This is probably the ONLY place I can tell the brutal truth and I need it. Which is one of the reasons I guess so many of us stay anonymous.

Still
xx

This is the only place I can go to and be brutally honest and have the support I so desperately need. I feel I am surrounded by friends here. If I fall, I can assure you someone will give kind words to encourage me or give me the kick in the pants and tell me what I NEED to hear.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good question, but I can't imagine anyone outing themselves. Oh, and I'm not lying, lol.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

No. I learned a long time ago that keeping track of lies is for me next to impossiable; one just leads to another.

Dealing with others, I find it usefull to assume they are being honest (while not giving them my wallet, mind you). If they choose to lie, it is for a reason, and they will simply be hurting themselves.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

If anything, I've been so honest here that it's hurt. There's no reason to be dishonest about my sobriety with people who are so supportive. While I don't know anyone here personally, I feel as if I do, and if I weren't truthful with them, I don't think I could live with myself. Worse, if I don't tell the truth here, the only person I'm really hurting in the end is myself. I'm in AA, and as Sapling said, AA is a program of rigorous honesty. There's a reason for that. As alcoholics, we have lied, rationalized, deluded ourselves, and made 1001 excuses for our behavior instead of taking personal responsibility for it. Without honesty, we will continue to drink. It's that simple. At least it is for me.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Nope, not even a little white one. Totally pointless, not to mention exhausting!
Old 05-06-2012, 07:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes. All the time. I'm lying right now.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

what would be the point? So a no from me as well x
Old 05-06-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good grief, no, what would be the point of lying on here? If I lied on here, i would never be the 87 straight sober days that I am today.

And, here, is where you learn the clean feeling honesty brings... which helps you carry that out into the real world in your own life.

If someone lied to me on here, I do not see where it would hurt me anyway. Giving love, or help, or encouragement to others always benefits me in some way, even if it doesn't benefit them.

And if someone is lying on here it is sad for them...