Acceptance

Old 05-01-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Acceptance

Well I have been kinda lurking and have posted a couple of times. The long and short of it is my mother is an alcholic and addicted to pills. She attempted suicide in my home which prompted me to get into al-alon and counciling.

Anyway, recently she fell and cut her head open pretty bad 10 staples. She norm would have called me over calling 911 but because I haven't been enabling she did actually dial 911! But she did call for a ride home however our contact is limited to once a week phone calls... Lots of reasons for this so I didn't answer but found out through my sister (who although lives in another town is still enabling).

She my mom called the next day wanting me to do to s of stuff give her money yadda yadda and threw a 2 year old fit on the phone. My family and my mom really tried to guilte into supporting her and I felt for a time like a bad kid!

She went to my sisters and has already stolen Meds from not only my sis but my nephew. It just hit me that I have to stick to my convictions and the big realization that she isn't going to change unless she wants it and she isn't going to get help she is in complete denial that she even drinks or takes Meds...

I came across this today

I didn't cause it.
I can't cure it
I can't control it
I can care for myself by communicating my feelings, making healthy choices,
And by celebrating myself.

I was so involved in my mothers life I lost me. I lost valuable years and I won't lose anymore.

Remember that you have value and your needs and feelings are important!
Old 05-01-2012, 06:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there friend. As long as you are doing what is right for you then you'll be ok. I'd suggest "Codependent No More," as a helpful read. Keep reading and posting as you feel compelled. Wishing you the best.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((lisaroo)))
I didn't cause it
I can't cure it
I can't control it
Seems simple enough, but it took me years to learn the lesson of those three C's. I'm glad you're a faster learner than I was. Please don't let anyone guilt you into doing something (enabling). It sounds like you're doing great, keep on taking care of you.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What an excellent post, lisaroo. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with others...members and lurkers. You rarely know how your words change others' lives, but they can.

Prayers and positive thoughts to you today!
~T