Notices

Want to quit...but afraid.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Want to quit...but afraid.

Hello everyone. I joined a while ago and never posted. I am in a similar situation as wottadowner who started another thread, but guess I should of started my own.

Fortunately I did not witness my ex-husband having a seizure but that is what I am afraid of as I've heard of people quitting cold turkey and then having seizures days later, some fatal.

I went to my doctor when I had insurance (since unemployed and none) and she told me to quit drinking, but not all at once. That was it. I was truthful with her about the amount of drinking I was doing (all day/night) and she did do a blood test which showed that my liver enzymes were elevated...fatty liver. So then thats when she told me to quit (not all at once) and come back and get another blood test, couldn't afford to go back with no insurance.

What else can a doctor do to help in quitting? I could possibly scrape up some money to go to a low-income clinic, but I don't want to waste my money as I really only have enough to keep a roof over my head and the lights on (roomie buys the beer)..if I'm just going to hear the same thing. What are the medical treatments they can provide? I also have a social phobia and am to afraid to go to an AA meeting, situations where I don't know anyone like that give me panic attacks, can't afford my meds for that either.

Thank you.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

I am not in the US so I have no avice on what is available and cost. The journey to sobriety does take courage and get out of the zone we are in. It is possible and iris worthwhile. Have you done an Internet search on detox in your area?
Old 04-23-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, unfortunately they don't offer much low cost detox unless you are very low income/no income...I do get unemployment so I'm not eligible....or are on some sort of welfare, no children so I'm not eligible for that either. I just feel so stuck. I did try to go to a research study to get my anxiety/social disorder meds but they won't give them to you of course if you drink and you need to not drink for 6 months before they will. I just feel like I'm in a never ending circle and I'm too afraid to just stop drinking after reading about the seizures and such. It's just frustrating.

Glad this site is here....think it will help a lot. so good to know I'm not the only one!
Old 04-23-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome cutepooka, glad you're here.

I was terrified of withdrawals but I regret letting my fears make me tip toe around finally quitting. Would you be able to get emergency medical care should you need it after you quit? x
Old 04-23-2012, 03:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I'm not sure on the best options for you either, pooka. I do know what you mean about being afraid though. I was really scared when I tried to quit, and not only about withdrawals but just how life in general would work sober. Some of that fear is unavoidable. Getting sober means taking a leap of faith -- you have to believe that your life will improve as a result of getting sober. It's hard to get up the courage to take that leap when you are dealing with anxiety issues.

I will tell you that a lot of my own anxiety problems went away when I quit drinking (within a month or two). A lot of people find that if their anxiety doesn't disappear completely that it at least becomes much more manageable.

I would try to get up the courage to go to an AA meeting, if you can. I found a lot of solace in being able to connect face to face with people that had been in the same position as I. If that ends up not being your cup of tea I would check out SMART or AVRT. It's a lot easier to get sober when you have some type of program to follow, IME.

Welcome to SR, I'm glad that you found us. I do believe that you can get sober if you really want to.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I believe the Salvation Army offers free detox/treatment...
Old 04-23-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome

I'm not in the US either but I always recommend seeing a Dr - I had a bad last 'home alone' detox'...I wouldn't want anyone to go through that.

Nothings more important than your health cutepooka

here are some links that may help you find affordable medical assistance:
Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics

2-1-1 Call Center Search
2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more. Learn more about your local 2-1-1 by looking it up here.
D
Old 04-24-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your responses. I'll check the salvation army and other information.

Thanks for your support! I sure appreciate it!!!!!