Notices

Day 6 & Mostly Content

Old 04-17-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Day 6 & Mostly Content

I am 6 days sober, after 2 binge-drinking nights last week. I've been on / off again with drinking for a while. Tonight I went out with girlfriends who were rallying up to tie one on. I stuck to water while they all ordered martinis and glasses of wine. I must admit, I felt a twinge of jealousy seeing the freshly mixed drinks the waitress brought. Myself and my other well-behaved friend left three others at the bar for some debauchery that will doubtless carry on through the wee hours of the morning. BUT, that twinge was so fleeting. I remembered how I commonly felt after a night like they are about to have, like complete, total, absolute sh%t. So I said goodnight. And I'm home now, wearing my pajamas, kitty is on my lap, I feel great about myself, and I am quite alright.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Good for you. Congrats on your 6 days, too.

I found that I had to remove myself from these types of situations completely in order to stay sober and stay sane. I tried to hang out with the same old friends in the same situations -- in fact I remember sitting down some of my friends and explaining, "yeah, no I'm cool with going out with you guys and just having water, no big deal." The truth of the matter is that my obsession with drinking drove me crazy every time and I ended up on the merry-go-round of addiction and relapse for over a year.

I still have some of the same friends, but we don't hang out at bars anymore. I also ditched some of my old friends and some ditched me. People always told me that it's all about who you hang out with, but I thought I was the one exception to the rule. Turns out that I was just like everyone else. If you want to be sober you have to change your lifestyle. Nothing changes if nothing changes -- at least that's been my experience.

Hang in there!
Old 04-18-2012, 02:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree...Day six I was one day out of detox....I'm coming up on 10 months....I haven't gone bar hopping with my long lost drinking buddies since....Maybe one day they'll join me...Till then I let them have their fun without me.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I`m on day 6 too! Good luck to US!
Old 04-18-2012, 03:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done .
That was pretty early on .
Good luck with your plan is it for good.
John.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I should note that these friends know that I quit drinking and are very supportive of it, well as supportive as they can be when actively abusing. Also, no way could I hang out with them more than every once in a while. I love them all dearly but just can't be around the boozing that much. Finally, I have had long stretches of not drinking but where I have problems is going out with those that do NOT know I quit, as if I am pulling a fast one- which I am not. In these first days/weeks/months I'm going to be very choosy about putting myself in those situations and when in doubt just pass on it.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What is your recovery program of choice?

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-18-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

CONGRADULATIONS,
I pray it's me in 6 days from Friday. I need to keep remembering how bad detox is.
Good luck and god bless you
Diana
Old 04-18-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
What is your recovery program of choice?

All the best.

Bob R
Good question Bob. Today it is prayer, individual therapy, and coming to SR. I may go back to a WFS meeting I was attending last summer. I do need to consider that what I was doing before was not enough. I have struggled with AA, find it not as uplifting as the tenets of WFS to me.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by perea3 View Post
CONGRADULATIONS,
I pray it's me in 6 days from Friday. I need to keep remembering how bad detox is.
Good luck and god bless you
Diana
Hi Diana, why not 6 days from today!?!?!
thanks for the note. Good luck to you too. Keep posting here and we can go through this together!
Old 04-18-2012, 07:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Women for Sobriety? Cool!

Stay stopped!!
Old 04-18-2012, 09:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thanks sugarbear!! xo
Old 04-18-2012, 09:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good job and good luck!