Notices

Sober and physically tired?

Old 04-17-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober and physically tired?

Just wondering if anyone else on the sobriety path has experienced being tired after sobering up? Ive been sleeping more than I used too and I have been more active I guess, but I figured my energy levels would be higher. I feel more tired than when I was hungover everyday.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's very common Ryan - if you're like me you drank for years - it can take a little while for mind and body to recuperate, I think

D
Old 04-17-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yup, I think I was scared that I'd feel 'too awake' after I sobered up, it was a relief to feel really tired all the time x
Old 04-17-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee, this is very common and something I experienced in early sobriety.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Yeah me too. Sleep and a consistent schedule are crucial to a solid recovery plan, IMO, and will help to keep you from feeling drowsy.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fatigue has been a biggie for me....just realized this past weekend (3 months in) that it's not so prevalent as it first was. Now that doesn't mean I want clean the house from top to bottom - a good book accompanied by Ben and Jerry will always win that battle :-)
Old 04-17-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Definitely tired but much less than I was the first few weeks though it's only been a month. If I get some laundry done and make dinner, get to the store, a meeting, get my child to school in the morning - it's a productive day!!
Old 04-17-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Ryan, I felt the same way especially my first week. It's very common I hear, I was always tired and slept during the day which I never did before. After my first week my body adjusted to being sober and I got my energy back. Congrats on your sobriety
Old 04-17-2012, 05:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

I had it, too! Mine hit around 2-5 months of sobriety. Luckily, I wasn't working and had time to nap. I strongly suggest keeping as much of a routine as possible, it was difficult for me to get back to normal hours.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah, I have the same "problem". I have plenty of energy during the day at work, but when I get home it seems I can barely keep my eyes open. Drinking hot tea seems to be helping me at the moment though.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah, it's the nighttime....I go to bed at like 830-9. Never did that before! Good to know we are all suffering the same LoL! Thanks guys
Old 04-17-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You are not alone....i'm exhausted too! I used to be able to party till 2am & still get up early the next day and take kids to school, work etc....hungover, but i did it. Now i'm with you...9pm rolls around & half the time i'm trying to journal and I fall asleep pen in hand!
Old 04-18-2012, 04:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

I experienced this in my earlier sobriety. I have almost 4 months now. For the first month or two I was all jacked up. Couldnt sleep, or I slept too much, and all the other crazy things that go on. Lol. It will get better, don't worry.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Same here. I abused alcohol for 10+ years heavy and i'm 3 months sober now. I feel more tired now than when i was drinking. Some days are better some days are worse. Green tea works best for me. Just hang in there it passes over time.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm really tired,( and very emotional) too
Old 04-18-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

RyanRyan, if you feel more tired or have been sleeping more after getting sober then it could be a sign of depression. Would be a good idea to talk to you doctor about it.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
JEANS

I'm so glad you started this thread. I wish literally at the end of my tether until I read this. I'm almost 4 months sober and although I have gained no energy what so ever. I saw a nutritionist who gave me a diet plan so I know for a fact I eat healthy.
I also exercise but it completely wipes me out instead of energy. I was very much considering having a drink until I read this thread. At least I know you're all experiencing this and it will hopefully pass.

Thank you so much.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RyanRyan View Post
Just wondering if anyone else on the sobriety path has experienced being tired after sobering up? Ive been sleeping more than I used too and I have been more active I guess, but I figured my energy levels would be higher. I feel more tired than when I was hungover everyday.
Ryan, are you going to AA?

The first couple of years I looked at the 12 Steps as the penalty I had to pay for being an alcoholic. I had little enthusiasm and everything seemed to be a chore.
Then I began to see the 12 Steps as an opportunity for me and my zest and outlook changed.

All the best to you.

Bob R
Old 04-18-2012, 09:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm tired too, but I've only been sober for 3 days. This is my 4th day of not drinking. I am feeling much better each day, emotionally. So, hopefully the tiredness will go away soon. I'm eating properly, exercising, working and going to meetings. Keeping busy with teenagers too. Life is so much better than it was before that 'switch' went off in my head (finally) and told me it's never going to get better if I don't stop drinking. I'm pumped for sobriety! I like this thread though, and will be conscious of monitoring the fatigue. Have a great day everyone!
Old 04-18-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

God yes, I know exactly what you mean! Am sleeping all night for the first time in years and still find myself constantly yawning! Could do with an afternoon nap most days, not something that's possible at work!! Let's hope this phase passes soon...xx