Notices

How long do people stay on Suboxone?

Old 04-16-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long do people stay on Suboxone?

Ok, I finally got a call back from one of the six suboxone doctors I called. She was very nice and I have an appointment on Wednesday.

She said the statistics show that people who stay on Suboxone for less than a year have a 100% chance of relapse.

I'm terribly afraid of going to someone who just wants to keep me on the suboxone for the money. I see her once for $200 then once a month for the following two months. The generic suboxone is 120-220 for a month supply.

Can those of you that have experience tell me how long you were on the suboxone for? Or can you direct me to some statistics?

Thank you!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Did she really say 100 percent? Comments like that would make me a bit nervous, but we are supposed to trust doctors right? I highly doubt you couldn't find a few people who used subs to detox and then never looked back. If you go on the strips I posted a link to a 50 buck off a month coupon so that might help a little. Good luck!
Old 04-17-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I currently take Suboxone.. Im coming up on 1 year at the end of this month. How long you take subs should have nothing to do with your doctor, it should depend on you and how long you feel you need to be on it. Its YOUR recovery. For me, Im comfortable on Subs right now and will get off when IM ready. Im sure the relapse rate is not 100% but I do know its VERY high. Some people use Sub for detox and do fine, Some need to be on it longer, It depends on YOU, Drug treatment is not a one size fits all kinda thing, Every person is different and every persons program and what they need is different. If you have any questions feel free to ask me, I will try to help with whatever I can. Good luck with everything, I know I wouldnt be where I am today without Sub, I hope you have the same experience.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Goddess of Life-Death-Rebirth

First let me say that my situation is a little different as I suffer from chronic pain and I use Suboxone for pain management as well. If I didn't need it for pain? I probably wouldn't have started weaning off until about a year.. I personally didn't start feeling strong enough mentally until then. During that time I was rebuilding my life and all that entails and also getting used to the physical, mental and emotional shift of living daily life without my pain killers.

200. to start actually seems very cheap to me since I was quoted 800. -1500. then for the suboxone induction plans through private doctors. Those high prices lead me to the methadone clinic and I started there but ended up with a private doctor. That may be an option for you as well.

But the truth is, you really don't know how long you may need or want to be on Suboxone yet. Some have used it only for some help with detox while others have stayed on it for years. You may need or want it short term or longer, you may or may not have side effects, etc. Everyone is different and everyone's recovery is different. Taking the first step to recovery is what I would be concentrating on.

My best advice I can give you is to find the best sub doctor you can and one you feel comfortable with and go from there. You can always switch doctors if you are unhappy with their treatment plan or their care. Remember, they work for YOU.

(Of those that I personally know who went the suboxone route, one used it for detox only, another was on for about 9-10 months and another for well over a year. And I'm even longer.. and will stay on it until there's a better alternative for my chronic pain management.)
Old 04-18-2012, 06:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good advice about Just concentrating on taking the first steps in recovery Proserpina.. I would def. say the same thing.. Just worry about gettin yourself in a good place THEN worry about how long to be on Subs.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My appt with the sub doctor

Well, today was the day I had my appt with the sub doctor. She was very nice and really educated me on what I've been doing to my seratonin and the different reasons we use/relapse.

Instead of the one suboxone pill (the orange one), she gave me a generic which is called Buprenorphin. It's 8mg and I am supposed to take two per day. She also gave me the Suboxone films and said they were for emergency use only. I didn't really understand that but she said just to keep them in my purse and if I ever get stuck without my pills, then use it. She also said we would be talking about my anxiety/depression once I get stabilized.

I've taken 8mg today of the orange suboxone pill-it was a left over from my previous attempt. I feel ok-was a bit stressed and tired. I've really messed up my body this last week so I can not expect to feel "good" yet.

All in all, I had a pleasant visit with the doctor and I hope this goes well.

Thanks everyone for your support!
Old 04-19-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SOBERWRLDRCDPOWER

My insurance plan covers my films plus they give you a 50 dollar card that covers up to 50 dollars of your copay which mine is only 30 so inever have to pay for my meds. But when I went to another doctor I had a messup and my insurance wouldn't cover the medicine that month and for 60 strips a month was about 200 something a month as well for mine. Some places are cheaper than others. I know when I first tried it years ago i didn't have insurance plus doctors didn't take it anyway plus it didn't cover meds either. So for everything from the doctor to the meds was almost a thousand dollars a month. My old doctor I just left cause he didn't even care or knew my name for that matter and accused me once of doing something another patient did and then 5 minutes into his accusation realized I was the wrong person. Said we l;ooked alike because we were both short and stocky. So I looked up another doctor. Like I said mines even been on it himself and genuinely cares about his patients. That's most important to me. He's only a hundred a month and like i said i don't have to pay anything for my meds. Just make sure your doctor has your best interest at hand and not just what's in your wallet.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just tried to use the $50 copay card for the suboxone and it's for a minimum of 14 films. My doc only prescribed 5 but she gave me 5 refills. I see her again next month and will see if she'll prescribe at least 14. I'm still not clear why I even have them-they are for emergencies only-I'm a pill addict, I don't lose or leave my pills anywhere! Are you kidding me? I will always have them with me, lol!
Old 04-19-2012, 05:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Probably should have mentioned that to you. She probably gave you 5 8mg tabs. You could have her write the script for 20 2mg tabs so you hit the 14 tab minimum. You might want to price it out to make sure it is worth it first.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Have a question. My son is new in treatment and I was on the fence about Soboxone after reading so many posts on the internet about how hard it is to come off and taper down and the terrible withdrawals that can occur. He was clean for 20 days, and the Dr.wasn't even sure he needed to go on it, but he said he needed it because he still felt the urges and he would relapse. They put him on 4mg a day, and counseling, which is super. I guess I am concerned because in the state of addiction until healed, how could one make a clear call on how long one should stay on Subs. Is 4 mgs a low dose? I guess that doesn't really make any difference if you are fighting addiction. So, are most saying Soboxone really helped them?
Old 05-02-2012, 07:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Nazara77........Welcome

I noticed your post in Newcomers...and glad you found support and info.
I don't know the answers to your questions...I have no experience with subs.

All my best to you and your family
Old 05-03-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's okay....thanks for the welcome!
Old 05-05-2012, 06:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Nazara - newcomer here as well. Being an addict myself, I've known several people (who were quite influential in helping me take the steps toward finding a sub doctor,) who have utilized in the past, or are currently on, suboxone treatment. 4 mgs seems to be a lower dosage - but there's no reason he shouldn't start slowly and work with his doctor to determine whether a higher dose would be better or worse. I've seen widely varying opinions on the length of the treatment, but my personal opinion is that they are best used as a confidence tool until a person is ready to make the final jump to sobriety.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

NotMe86....Welcome...

Thanks for shareing ..hope all is well with you..
Old 05-05-2012, 07:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

suboxone is for withdrawal. Ask the doctor about this.

naltrexone is after one detoxes and is used to reduce cravings. Ask the doctor about this.

I only wrote this as those who are already detoxed do not necessarily need to be put on suboxone, which can in itself be habit forming (addictive).

Not all doctors understand addiction. Find one who understands.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

hey could you send me a private message, i just got put on suboxone a few days ago and i was told id need to be on em for a year or two..so just wanted to ask you some questions if thats okay. u never know what doctors u can trust now =\
Old 05-07-2012, 07:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

@proserpina

Originally Posted by Proserpina View Post
First let me say that my situation is a little different as I suffer from chronic pain and I use Suboxone for pain management as well. If I didn't need it for pain? I probably wouldn't have started weaning off until about a year.. I personally didn't start feeling strong enough mentally until then. During that time I was rebuilding my life and all that entails and also getting used to the physical, mental and emotional shift of living daily life without my pain killers.

200. to start actually seems very cheap to me since I was quoted 800. -1500. then for the suboxone induction plans through private doctors. Those high prices lead me to the methadone clinic and I started there but ended up with a private doctor. That may be an option for you as well.

But the truth is, you really don't know how long you may need or want to be on Suboxone yet. Some have used it only for some help with detox while others have stayed on it for years. You may need or want it short term or longer, you may or may not have side effects, etc. Everyone is different and everyone's recovery is different. Taking the first step to recovery is what I would be concentrating on.

My best advice I can give you is to find the best sub doctor you can and one you feel comfortable with and go from there. You can always switch doctors if you are unhappy with their treatment plan or their care. Remember, they work for YOU.

(Of those that I personally know who went the suboxone route, one used it for detox only, another was on for about 9-10 months and another for well over a year. And I'm even longer.. and will stay on it until there's a better alternative for my chronic pain management.)

@PROSERPINA

I just signed up to this site, and I've been looking everywhere to find somebody who's in the same position I am with the suboxone. i was in about 3 car wrecks. got hooked on vicodon n percacet..withdrawaled cold turkey..but suffer from horrible chronic pain..to where i can't get out of bed in the morning. so my doctor recommended suboxone. i just started it about a week ago. 8 mg strips..he said one or two at most a day. i can honestly say this is the first time in my life since my chronic pain that I've felt so good (physically). and its affecting me mentally in a positive way. now of course i don't wanna trade percacets for another opiate but i mean if i had to choose..id go for the subs. cause the percacets n vicodons i was up to 10 a day and still in horrible pain even being on them..it confused the hell out of me. maybe if you can message me i have some questions and you seem like you can give me some helpful answers. I'm so happy now being off the painkillers..but now that i read all the awful things on here about suboxone I'm all anxious and worried that I'm gna be like suicidal and depressed and yeah. i just want my physical pain to be at a "tolerable" level.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

...Welcome DjMute1029

Good to know you are heading into a better future..
Old 01-09-2013, 12:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Advice from an experienced sub/opiate/heroin user

I'll *try* to keep this as short and sweet as possible.

I started messing with percocets and oxy's 5 years ago. Things escalated pretty rapidly after first starting, and within a year I was hooked and taking 5-10 perc 10's pretty much daily (or oxy's here and there) until I realized how much cheaper it would be to do heroin. After getting hooked on that for a few months, I decided enough was enough and tried quitting cold turkey. The first attempt I got maybe a week or two before caving. Second attempt shortly after, I got about a month before caving again. Finally, I decided to get help from a doctor and got myself on suboxone, which was a godsend, or so I thought. Things were great at first, I didn't have any cravings and of course, no withdraw. After two years, I decided that I didn't want to rely on suboxone my whole life to feel somewhat normal. Plus, it was pretty annoying having to make sure you always had some on you everywhere you went. Not to mention the taste of the stuff....anyway. Let me tell you that, even after tapering down to half a 2mg sub once a day, the withdrawals I experienced after stopping were absolute hell on earth. Not only were they worse than getting off opiates, but they lasted much longer. I didn't get any sleep at all for literally a week, and the second week I think I got a total of a few hours. After the second week, things started to get slightly better, but it wasn't until a good month that I finally began to feel good again.

In a nutshell, if you are going to use suboxone, do not stay on it long term. The longer you stay on it, the harder your withdrawal will be. Honestly, I would not stay on it over a month tops. In fact, I think 1 - 2 weeks is the right amount of time. Trust me. I began using heroin again 6 months after getting off subs, and have been using daily. I am just now about to start my sub treatment to get clean again, only this time I'm going to use it for 1 week. I have a friend who did this same thing, and she said that she experienced basically no withdrawals after she stopped using subs after that 1 week period.

Again: do not use suboxone for an extended period of time. Sure, everyone is different, but everyone I know who has used subs long term (1 year or more) regretted it and said the withdrawals were far worse than going cold turkey. 1 week is perfect. 2 weeks is fine. 1 month at most if you must. After that...good luck.