Notices

To Watch Loneliness Vanish

Old 04-16-2012, 12:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I like this one:

Almost without exception, alcoholics are tortured by loneliness. Even before our drinking got bad and people began to cut us off, nearly all of us suffered that feeling that we didn't quite belong. Either we were shy, and dared not draw near others, or we were noisy good fellows constantly craving attention and companionship, but rarely getting it. There was always that mysterious barrier we could neither surmount nor understand.

Thats one reason we loved alcohol too well. But even Bacchus betrayed us; we were finally struck down and left in terrified isolation.

<<<< >>>>

Life takes on new meaning in AA. To watch people recover, to see them help others, to watch loneliness vanish, to see a fellowship grow up about you, to have a host of friends, this is an experience not to be missed.

(As Bill Sees It, page 90)

I like this one, that bit about feeling like i didn't belong really rings true for me, i've had that feeling since trying to resettle back into civilian life after 10 years in the army. Felt like i didn't fit in or belong here ya know, i became the shy type with the occaisonal outburst of anger/violence towards anyone who crossed my path. I didnt really like being like that with people, so i withdrew into my own personal hell of isolating/nightmares and alcohol...and it very nearly ended my life.

Thank God for AA...the sense of belonging and camaraderie i get there now is just as/even more powerful than that of the camaraderie amongst experienced combat soldiers, i feel part of something again, AA

Can anyone else identify with this?
Old 04-16-2012, 04:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Johnny3times View Post
I like this one:

Almost without exception, alcoholics are tortured by loneliness. Even before our drinking got bad and people began to cut us off, nearly all of us suffered that feeling that we didn't quite belong. Either we were shy, and dared not draw near others, or we were noisy good fellows constantly craving attention and companionship, but rarely getting it. There was always that mysterious barrier we could neither surmount nor understand.

Thats one reason we loved alcohol too well. But even Bacchus betrayed us; we were finally struck down and left in terrified isolation.

<<<< >>>>

Life takes on new meaning in AA. To watch people recover, to see them help others, to watch loneliness vanish, to see a fellowship grow up about you, to have a host of friends, this is an experience not to be missed.

(As Bill Sees It, page 90)

I like this one, that bit about feeling like i didn't belong really rings true for me, i've had that feeling since trying to resettle back into civilian life after 10 years in the army. Felt like i didn't fit in or belong here ya know, i became the shy type with the occaisonal outburst of anger/violence towards anyone who crossed my path. I didnt really like being like that with people, so i withdrew into my own personal hell of isolating/nightmares and alcohol...and it very nearly ended my life.

Thank God for AA...the sense of belonging and camaraderie i get there now is just as/even more powerful than that of the camaraderie amongst experienced combat soldiers, i feel part of something again, AA

Can anyone else identify with this?
^i sure can. especially the part about it almost ending my life. i was at a meeting yesterday (Super Great!) and i was just reflecting this morning on how very fortunate i am to be a part of such a GREAT Fellowship.. A.A. has saved my life and i will always be Grateful!
Old 04-16-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Yes this is a huge issue for us. I can relate to Bills Story as the last sentance on the first paragraph says it all.

"I was very lonely and again turned to alcohol."

Meetings also help with this as I feel always welcome and part of the group. It gives us that sense of belonging. After all Abraham Maslow, a great twentieth century psychologist, had sense of belonging ranked right after food and shelter in his hierarcy of human needs.

I need to get to a meeting today even if I don't like it.

thanks for the post Johhny 3
Old 04-16-2012, 09:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Great post Johnny. You know I didn't actually lose that awful lonliness until I had completed the 5th step. Up until then (our stroies disclose in a general way) I thought I was the worst case ever to come to AA. through the 5th I found out that I was just an ordinary run of the mill alcoholic, that what happened to me was just normal alcoholic stuff, so I lost my loneliness and shame.
Didn't lose my stupidity though! I would have to be one of the stupidest most gullible people ever to come to AA. Blindly I followed suggestions, gullibly I believed what I was told, strangely I recovered. Stupidity is not a barrier to sobriety, but sometimes the very intelligent can have a hard time of it.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Love you xxx