Notices

Seeing things differently

Old 03-31-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seeing things differently

Going on my 12th day of sobriety yesterday I attended an affair at a local golf club, and while most everyone around me was drinking beers/wine etc., I felt content and just a bit special drinking my sodas. I say special not because i thought of myself as superior, but rather I felt special that I understood that I could not control myself if I took that first drink, and I was proud of myself because that understanding prompted me to abstain. I found myself noticing the other folks who were drinking soft drinks all night and imagined a sort of kinship with them that we were all in control of our lives at the moment. Funny, but when gay people notice other gay people in a strange or new environment it is sometimes refereed to as "gaydar" maybe I had my "sobar" up and running last night. In addition, I woke up this morning feeling great and ready for a new day of adventure and positive relationships.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I know that feeling very well! And it feels wonderful! I'll bet there was a time when you could never envision yourself enjoying a soda while those around you were drinking booze ... I sure did. Sounds like you definitely got your "sober on!!!" Proud of you!!!
Old 03-31-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 26thw View Post
and imagined a sort of kinship with them that we were all in control of our lives at the moment.
That's exactly how I felt when I walked into my meeting this morning.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Well done and nice post thank you.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the positive post! I know exactly what you mean.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you! I remember almost the exact scenario playing out when I had about six months sober.

I didn't even think of a drink, and it was an open bar at this event. I didn't realize this this for two days while I was standing in the shower. And the realazation came to me, ' hey maybe I can do this'.

I hope you get to a point where I am now. Alcohol almost never crosses my mind. It sounds like you're well on your way.

Best to you.