Notices

every once in awhile life just STOPS

Old 03-30-2012, 05:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

every once in awhile life just STOPS

Well, here in Austin it is going to be a beautiful day. It is Friday, my last workday of the week, and I had lots of plans to get certain things accomplished at work and home. Then I caught the flu bug yesterday. I left work at 1 yesterday afternoon, and have been in bed as much as I can since. Those laid out plans that I took for granted that I would be able to complete are now postponed until I feel better.

I am so grateful for the fact that feeling like this is not self-induced. I do not have the depression, hopelessness, fear, anxiety and hate for myself that I always had as I laid in bed on a beautiful day because I was too hungover to do what I need to do. Yeah, a little disappointed I can't do what I wanted to do, and it is not fun feeling like this, but it is life. Everybody gets sick once in awhile. I am lucky I am still alive after all the stuff I did to myself.

The other thing I was thinking about as I lay here (my dogs want to go for a walk - I wish they understood) is that how things can change in a second....I got sick very quickly yesterday, and had to leave in the middle of a project that I was really into completing. It reminds me of times I got really bad news (fatal diagnosis of someone in the family, sudden deaths, traffic accidents, having my life turned upside down by a cheating, abusive spouse, etc.). We never know what will happen or when. We can plan, try to act positively so that we stack the deck in our favor, do what we are supposed to do, but things happen. You know, those things that broadside you in, say, the middle of a sunny afternoon. Instantly things change.

Ugh. I am beginning to sound self-indulgent! What I am just trying to say is that I don't like that I can't do what I was going to do, but that I am eternally grateful it is not a result of self-abuse, and I am reminded that things can change very fast, and we should appreciate the good days when all is well, and occasionally gently push ourselves to do things when we can do them. We never know when it is all going to come crashing down. And I don't mean that fatalistically - it is just life. Heck, being sick like this is nothing compared to what is going to happen to millions of people on the planet today.

OK. I am done. Just wanted to be with some friends for a minute, and get my thoughts out there. Everyone - be safe and take care.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very nice post. Sorry you're sick with the flu and hope you recover quickly.

I've often had those same thoughts, about how in an instant everything suddenly changes. We can do all the planning, preparing, saving, investing and something happens and it's gone. I think of my ex-husband and how he worked obsessively for so many years, saving his money, not taking vacations and instead cashing in the earned time off, and investing it in stocks and watching his money grow, grow, grow. Until one day the markets crashed and it was gone.

I have quite a few unfinished projects here at home that I really want to do but somehow never getarountuit, ya know? So your post has motivated me to focus on today, be thankful I'm healthy and not sick, and get something accomplished while I can. Hugs and prayers to you, hoping you are well soon. Doggy cuttlage is very therapeutic for the flu, btw!