Notices

Hardest part of quitting?

Old 03-29-2012, 05:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hardest part of quitting?

Would like to what was the hardest part of quitting alcohol/drug use? I'm having that trouble now and would like to know your input.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me, it was facing the demons that I'd been hiding from and having to look at myself as I really was.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me, for a long time, it was accepting I had to stop drinking - completely - if I didn't want those bad consequences....and fully accepting the need for my life to change.

D
Old 03-29-2012, 05:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Getting rid of bargain thinking. IE, "I will stop drinking, but things had better improve, and quickly, or back to the bottle I go." I had to knock it off for better or for worse, or it wasn't going to stick, just like all the previous times I had stopped (but not quit).
Old 03-29-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Exactly what Anna said... coming to terms with the real me and figuring out how to heal my mind & soul. I'm relatively early into this so that's an ongoing process.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The hardest part about quitting drinking is missing getting completely shizfaced. We drink because we like the pleasure that comes from getting smashed. It's over-idulgence at it's purest form. It's like asking a morbidly obese person what they miss about not binge eating. I drink because I like the feeling of getting smashed... Nothing more, nothing less...

For me, drinking has interfered with many things I want to accomplish. For years I was able to drink like I wanted to and still achieve, over the past few years that has changed. So I am forced to either become a deadbeat and continue getting drunk (which my body just loves to do) OR be responsible and quit drinking...
Old 03-29-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Wow I think I can relate to Dee, Anna and TU. My experience was all three of those things at different times.

I think maybe the overall hardest thing for me though was committing to the changes I needed to make in my life to keep myself sober.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The hardest part of quitting was staying quit ....

Bob R
Old 03-29-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
The hardest part of quitting was staying quit ....

Bob R
I dont have anything to add.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Accepting the fact that I could never drink again. At the beginning of my drinking career, I truly enjoyed the feeling it gave me and there are times when I miss that. But toward the end, I could never get that feeling back ... I'd just get stupid drunk and black out. I chased that "buzz" for a long time and ended up in a place where I couldn't even get drunk anymore, but I couldn't get sober either. Now that I AM sober, my alcoholic voice likes to tell me, "It's been almost a month since your last drink .... I'll bet you could get that 'buzz' back now." But today I recognize that that is just my addict wanting its fix and that it will lie to get what it wants. Thankfully, the voice gets fainter every day.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Random Guy

Convincing myself that I actually wanted to. I liked drinking, it was my source of entertainment and alleviation from bordome and isolation. It was easily attained pleasure that eventually became more costly than it was worth, but getting myself to want to stop truly with no reservations, took me a while.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Feelings, I hadn't had them in over a decade. When I quit I was on a huge rollercoaster, super happy one day and sobbing the next. Glad to report that the feelings to even out, it has only been two months and I already feel ten thousand times better. Just stick with it. Fake it til you make it.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Just recognizing I should QUIT was exceptionally hard for me. I allllllways planned to "stop temporarily." Quitting forever wasn't a thought I ever entertained on my own. Luckily, my drinking was frequent and bad enough that I eventually had a judge make that decision for me. Honestly, I don't know how bad it would have had to have gotten before I was willing to surrender. Looking back now, with the clarity of hindsight......if I had to make that call on my own, I probably would have ended up in jail or blowing my head off before I ever made it myself.

Once I got to AA and set aside some of the silly judgments I had of the program and the people, staying stopped wasn't any harder than it is to NOT walk into a bank and rob it...... It just doesn't really occur to me to drink all that often (occasional thoughts.....sure, but they're short and not very strong). Education on alcoholism, friendship/fellowship, and support are nice enough.....but I've needed more to get recovered and stay that way.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Gone In

I think for me it was coming to terms with how sick and insane I truly was. As I started to come out of it as the months went by I started to perceive more and more of my behaviour for what it was. I started to see how deep in my psyche it went, and learning to live a new life having never been a sober youth or adult was daunting at first (but also exciting).
Old 03-29-2012, 09:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Getting started was the hardest. It took decades. I remember telling my mom that I was an alcoholic when I was nineteen years old and I didn't quit until I was 46. It just took forever for that piece of the puzzle to fall into place. The realization that not drinking was super cool and that any discomfort as a result of quitting would be more than worth it.

The second hardest thing has been getting acquainted with my sober mind and living without the familiar rhythm of drinking.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by desertsong View Post
Accepting the fact that I could never drink again.
Careful there, desertsong. This statement is your addictive voice, because it implies that if you could drink again, that you would do so. Problem is, you certainly can drink again, and you have proven this time and again, by now beyond a shadow of a doubt. The question is not whether you can drink again or not, but rather, whether you will drink again or not.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The anxiety. The first week without alcohol is pretty scary, knowing you are cutting yourself off. Knowing you don't have a beer to look forward to after work, or if you're stressed. After a while that goes away though, now I don't even think of alcohol when I'm feeling stressed or anxious.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

As a bunch of others have said, for me it was getting to the place where I understood at a deep level that I had NO CHOICE but to quit drinking permanently.

I won't say it was all a bowl of cherries after that, but once the option of drinking was off the table everything became a whole lot simpler.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Quitting was relatively easy for me and I did that several times a year most years from age 19 to age 28 without too much difficulty. I was extremely fortunate in that respect.

Imagine if I had quit several times each year all those years and experienced tremendous difficulty. That would have really been awful.

What helped me a lot each time was to drink lots of water, try to get as much rest as I could manage and to take a few aspirin as needed. Of course some times were a little easier than other times each year, but that's to be expected.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The irritability in the beginning. And missing that 'ahhhhhh' moment of the first drink. But 8 weeks in the good bits far outway the bad actually, there is no bad!