Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

March 26 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 03-26-2012, 01:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

March 26 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Why is it so hard to admit we are powerless over alcohol, as the First Step suggests we do? All of us have heard and shared in discussions at Al-Anon meetings as to whether this should be interpreted as “alcohol” or the “alcoholic.” We have no power over either one. No one can control the insidious effect of alcohol or its power to destroy the graces and decencies of life. No one can control the alcoholic’s compulsion to drink. But we do have a power, derived from God, and that is the power to change our own lives. Acceptance does not mean submission to a degrading situation. It means accepting the fact of a situation and then deciding what we will do about it.

TODAY’S REMINDER

Progress begins when we stop trying to control the uncontrollable and when we go on to correct what we have the right to change. If we accept a situation full of misery and uncertainty, it is no one’s fault but our own. We can do something about it!

“Fighting futility is just a waste of energy, Samantha. Either do something or quit fretting.” – Celebra Tueli
Old 03-26-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MeredithD1 View Post
[B]Acceptance does not mean submission to a degrading situation. It means accepting the fact of a situation and then deciding what we will do about it.
This really jumped out at me. Acceptance is not blind resignation to live in a dysfunctional situation.

I had difficulty with that concept at first, but today I understand it and try to live it.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't have my Alanon book of "One Day at a Time" with me, so I googled March 26th and it brought me right back to SR! Even though this post is two years old, I appreciate it greatly.