Notices

Methadone/Benzos...

Old 03-22-2012, 11:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Methadone/Benzos...

I have a very close friend of mine who is prescribed methadone and klonopin. From what I've read on the internet, this is a dangerous cocktail, I believe he takes as much as 100 mg of methadone per day along with (at least) 3 mg of klonopin. He's 51 years old and has numerous health issues, including at least two heart attacks. He's one of my best friends but I am concerned that he may not be around very long if he keeps this up. When I'm talking to him on the phone, often times he will nod off and sound really messed up, other times he is lucid and chatty.

I know he has chronic pain issues but I'm wondering why his doctor would prescribe this combination, especially to someone who is an addict. He claims his doctor knows this and I know for a fact he gets both this meds from his PCP.

I am in the process of attempting to get off hydrocodone and benzos myself, but it's difficult to think about my own recovery when one of my best friends is in serious trouble. The only experience I've had with methadone was 20 mg a day for two weeks about 8 years ago. I was taking xanax at the time and never thought about the dangers of mixing, didn't have any problems personally. When I read about this combination on the internet though, I come across a lot of horror stories. Wondering if anyone has experience with mixing these two, and some information I could possibly share with my friend. In case anyone is wondering, because I know people do this a lot, it's not me who is mixing these drugs! I've known this guy for 25 years, he's like a big brother to me and I am truly concerned about him.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I Am Burning ; I Will Rise

Sorry to hear about that situation. That's tough. Unfortunately there is only so much you can do as far as talking out your concerns with him. But when someone doesn't believe they have a problem and their doctor is giving them the meds, it's very hard to convince them something is wrong or dangerous. A lot of people think "Doctors can't be wrong". Also keep in mind, if you are fighting the same drugs then he may not see your concerns as valid . Just some ideas. Good luck.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was taking methadone and clodipine. Wasnt a good mix. If I went with out either I would usally seize. I am 6 foot and I was down to 125. Methadone stops the intestines from absorbing nutrients. When I hit the hospital i was 125. i dropped the methadone but am continuing the benzo until I am really of the dones. Oh and Im a type one diabetic,have been for twenty years. His doctor is trying to kill him thats what going on.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yea, I'm certainly fighting addiction, although I am not on methadone but I definitely see you're point, I live in a glass house so it's hard to get my point across. My biggest concern is the many overdose deaths that seem to come as a result of mixing benzos (klonopin-ativan-valium-xanax) and methadone. For whatever reason, methadone just doesn't mix well with benzos. I've been on either hydrocodone and oxycodone forever along with either klonopin or xanax. I know many methadone clinics don't allow their patients to be on benzos, they must have a pretty good reason. People that are on this combo seem much more likely to fall asleep and never wake up, which is scary. I thought about getting into the methadone program a couple years ago and the first thing they asked me was "are you taking any benzos?" I was indeed, was told I would have to give them up, I'm glad I decided not to get on methadone.

My friend does have serious CP issues and I know he also struggles with depression and suicidal thoughts. I called another good friend of ours who is sober, hoping he can talk some sense into him.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yea, I'm certainly fighting addiction, although I am not on methadone but I definitely see you're point, I live in a glass house so it's hard to get my point across. My biggest concern is the many overdose deaths that seem to come as a result of mixing benzos (klonopin-ativan-valium-xanax) and methadone. For whatever reason, methadone just doesn't mix well with benzos. I've been on either hydrocodone and oxycodone forever along with either klonopin or xanax. I know many methadone clinics don't allow their patients to be on benzos, they must have a pretty good reason. People that are on this combo seem much more likely to fall asleep and never wake up, which is scary. I thought about getting into the methadone program a couple years ago and the first thing they asked me was "are you taking any benzos?" I was indeed, was told I would have to give them up, I'm glad I decided not to get on methadone.

My friend does have serious CP issues and I know he also struggles with depression and suicidal thoughts. I called another good friend of ours who is sober, hoping he can talk some sense into him.