Notices

New here looking to STOP binge drinking

Old 03-20-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here looking to STOP binge drinking

Hello all, I have been reading through the blogs here and the people and advice seems very positive. I need to own up to the fact that I have a drinking problem. I am a binge drinker. I can go all week and then I choose one day on the weekend and proceed to drink as much as I can. Of course that day is unproductive, but the day after is a complete waste of time. I'm hungover so I lay around like an idiot and eat a bunch of crap. I am a very active and healthy person otherwise. This past weekend I ran a 15K and then decided it was okay to drink a ton afterwards?!? Every time I do this I say I won't do it again, but one glass of wine never fails to turn into a bottle and of course another. This needs to stop!. I feel like it I come clean and admit I have a problem I might have people here that I can 'fees up' to each week to keep me on track. Thanks for your time!!
Old 03-20-2012, 05:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR SunshineLemke

SR certainly helped me turn my life around - I know you'll find a lot of support here to help you do the same

D
Old 03-20-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FNW
seeking acceptance

Welcome! You'll find lots of support and advice here. Keep reading!
Old 03-20-2012, 05:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

Hi Sunshine, and welcome to SR.

I hope that checking in with us helps you with avoiding your weekly binges.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Sunshine - welcome to the forum!

I can totally relate to the glass of wine that turns into a whole bottle, even with the best of intentions. I'm glad you're here - it's been a critical part of my getting and staying sober.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome SunshineLemke...I had the same problem...One or two and I'm of to the races...But I did that daily...I never understood binge drinkers but I have a lot of friends in AA that are...I guess the way it works..The binges get closer and closer...And that's not good...I guess what it comes down to is what are you willing to do to stop for good?
Old 03-20-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

My sponsor was a binge drinker the last couple years he was "out there." He's drink maybe 4-6 weekends per year. He was shocked to learn he was also a chronic alcoholic (most ppl assume alcoholism requires constant heavy drinking.....it doesn't).

He's got 15 quality years of sobriety now though....so I know it's possible to recover from binge drinking just like it is to recover from more heavy / constant drinking like I did.

If you're willing to try AA, I know it works - it really does.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am the exact same way... I like to exercise, workout be active. I dont drink at all during the week and than the weekend comes and I'll pick friday or saturday and just get blackout drunk.... Its weird that the other days of the week I have absolutely no desire to drink and it actually sort of disgusts me to even contemplate it... I've gotten to where I'll go 2 weeks...3 weeks... even a month without it but the minute I have a drink its all or nothing.... Wish you well in your pursuit of sobriety
Old 03-21-2012, 01:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wichitaks View Post
I dont drink at all during the week and than the weekend comes and I'll pick friday or saturday and just get blackout drunk.... Its weird that the other days of the week I have absolutely no desire to drink and it actually sort of disgusts me to even contemplate it... I've gotten to where I'll go 2 weeks...3 weeks... even a month without it but the minute I have a drink its all or nothing...
That's why I never understood them....I just thought it was normal living to drink everyday...I think either method can flush your life right down the toilet.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can speak from experience that my binge drinking in the last few months of my drinking ended up being closer and closer binges. Prior to that I had been drinking all day every day and prior to *that* I had been drinking every day 'in moderation'. Unfortunately, the moderation slipped and ended up being all day every day, then I tried to get myself sorted and 'just' binged. Those binges 'started' every few weeks or so, then every week, then a couple of times a week - i.e. drink, take a few days to get over it, feel better, binge again.

For me, the physical dependency has never been that big of an issue and I haven't had the horrible physical withdrawals that others have, but MAN, the mind-**** has been absolutely crazy.

I am in my late 30's now and I look back to my late teens and twenties and early thirties. All through that time I had periodic episodes of very heavy binge drinking - not all the time - sometimes no drinking for months on end - but I can now see with a bit more clarity that the obsession of drinking occurred all the time I was drinking and it has always, without a doubt in my mind, been alcoholic drinking. It might sound a bit weird, but I am almost grateful for the months of all day every day drinking and the awful events that happened around me as it has made me realise that I have this 'illness' and I have now been able to do something about it. I'm only new to sobriety - just 19 days, but I have been transformed inside and I know I need never drink again.

Please do something about it now before those binges become closer and closer and you fall down the cliff into a worse situation.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your stories and support. Just reading this everyday and having my mind set should work wonders. I see that the next natural step is for the binges to get closer and more frequent. That just can't happen. So really the next step is to STOP. It feels good to get this off my shoulders and fees up. Yikes, now I have a lovely group of people to be held accountable to. Thanks again and bring on a sober weekend!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

There are different ways or programs you can use to assist you with this Sunshine..Rather than whiteknuckling it alone...It might be worth your while looking into them.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes - I was absolutely pants at white knuckling it and also found once a week counselling only did so much to help me. I have found true understanding and support in my chosen program in AA.

All the best - getting things off your chest makes a massive difference!
Old 03-22-2012, 03:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

i lost count of the amount of times i tried to white knuckle it, the truth is though, the desire to drink never left me and as soon as i would take that first swig of a pint o stella...all bets are off! 10 pints later its blackout...again, that is of course if i havent been arrested n locked up..again! lol

ya know whats ironic though, when i started the steps i learnt that i didnt have to white knuckle it, cos somewhere along the line of steps 1 to 4 the desire to drink/use got removed...an i thought to meself...why on earth didnt i just do that in the first place! <sigh> oh well...i got there in the end!
Old 03-22-2012, 03:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by johnny2times View Post
an i thought to meself...why on earth didnt i just do that in the first place! <sigh> oh well...i got there in the end!
That's all that counts really...Way too many people aren't so lucky.