Notices

Suggestion

Old 03-20-2012, 12:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Suggestion

To everyone who has quit or just beginning, I think it would be a great idea to add "probiotics" to your diet. Probiotics are a natural occuring phenomonon in foods such as yougurt, butter milk, keifer, sauerkraut (if not heated very high) and others.

Probiotics supports your immune system naturally. Helping your immune system to protect us against infection and disease. It just helps in general.

You can take it in pill form, but you have to be very careful. It needs to be "fresh". Pills sit on the shelf too long and are not very effective. You can make and start your own probiotic farm right in your own kitchen.

I take Sustenex plus make my own.

Just a thought.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

That is a good idea, Muffin. I had abused my gut (aka intestines) as much as I had abused every other part of my body while drinking, and that was a lot. I knew that the natural flora there which are essential for digestion and immune response were suffering badly. Probiotics helped to repopulate that flora and definitely helped the tummy to get back on track.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Probiotics might not be suitable for everyone, tho.

So-called 'friendly' bacteria may be dangerous, according to new research - so which should you be taking? | Mail Online

It's best to consult your Dr or a nutritionist, I think and get their opinion on your particular case.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

It's like suggesting vitamin supplements without a doctor's knowledge. My AA friend almost died a few months ago due to taking vitamins (without doctor's supervision). she has a few (almost 3) years of sobriety now.

We've treated our bodies like garbage for a long time, now it's time for doctors to step in before we continue to self medicate.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry, I did not mean to offend or kill someone. Just trying to help. It was only a suggestion. You are the bosses.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love activia! haha! don't worry muffin, I know what your saying, the more you take care of yourself the easier the withdrawals are. Basically, the stronger your body is the stronger you are. gotcha darlin.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not trying to admonish you Muffin - just pointing out, as per our rules, that what has worked for some may not work, or may even be harmful, for others

I'm really glad probiotics have helped you and others here
D
Old 03-22-2012, 07:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

As Dee's articled pointed out, probiotics may actually be harmful in certain cases. The cases listed are, in total, patients in intensive care, those with organ failure or anyone being fed through a drip.

What does this mean for healthy people? The article says that probiotic products aren't dangerous for healthy people. Foods containing prebiotics can also be helpful, and these prebiotics are found in dietary sources such as onions, garlic, chicory and bananas..

From this, we learn that some medical articles in popular media have sensational headlines designed to convey false impressions and attract readers, and that your Dr. should be consulted before any dietary changes are made.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I chose the article because it was probably the most accessible...I could have probably found a better news source than the Daily Mail but there ya go

Actually, on a personal note - I was not in any of those categories and probiotics still made me very ill....I know now that more of something is not always better and 'natural' does not necessarily mean 'harmless'....

It's always good to remember what's worked for some of us may not work for others.

I think we're done with this thread tho

D